https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Thursday, June 7, 2007

New Novel(s)

Last week I had lunch with a friend of mind and she mentioned she was looking for a paranormal device for one of her main characters. I suggested one I had used in a short story once. Later, I sent her a link where I get a lot of my paranormal ideas. I've posted it on my website before, but here it is again.

Well, our conversation led me back to my short story in a unique way. This piece was a short-short and very dark. While I liked the writing, I was never happy with the ending. I don't particularly care for women in peril stories. But a few minutes of conversation had seeped into my subconscious and it bubbled over into a wealth of ideas hours later. Without even trying, I think I solved my own problem on how to develop that story without all that oppressive helplessness.

And it turned out even better than I imagined. Rather than rewrite the short story, I started outlining it as a new novel. The more I wrote, the more I liked it. It's different, much different than what I've seen out lately, so maybe I'm on to something.

No title yet. There will be sex. And more black ops espionage. I've even created the logline for it. Because it is so unique, I am holding my cards close to my chest a little while longer until I have more of the story cemented in stone. But I haven't gotten this excited since I wrote the sequel to True Believers. I like this idea.

What's ironic is that here I was trying to offer some suggestions to a friend and I ended up touching on a fleeting memory of something I had read in a newspaper about 20 years ago. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm writing a vampire story. Nobody faint on me! I guarantee you it is unlike any vampire story you've ever seen. No blood, no pointy teeth. A very different kind of vampire.

Those of you who know me, know I really hate vampire stories. Greg has to drag me to see vampire movies, and I play the suffering hostage throughout the whole movie. So I find it karmic justice that I am now bound to this "vampire" story after I've bad-mouthed them for so many years.

If I'm lucky, I'll finish the outline by next week and start the actual writing. It's not like me to make an announcement on something so nebulous, but my instincts tell me I'm onto something and I always listen to that little voice. It's never been wrong.

And get this...this is one of two projects that I'm working on. The other one is a fantasy based on an apocalyptic Earth.

Busy, busy.

0 comments: