https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Friday, June 15, 2007

Samhain Contest

I am off to Austin for a few days to commingle with my kindred spirits. I don't know if I'll be able to post while I'm there. It all depends on whether they have free internet service at the hotel. Rest assured, I'll have a lot to post when I get back though.

In the meantime, check out Samhain's First Line contest. Week 2

This is a five-week contest, currently on week two. No new entries can enter. You can go to the home page to check out the rest.

One thing that I thought was interesting was individual perception. Some of those first lines didn't go the way I thought they would inside the second line. A few had such startling beginnings that I imagined all sorts of wondrous things, yet the second line brought it down a notch. --or maybe I was expecting something supernatural to happen.

There are other second lines that still hold my interest, making me pant for next week's results.

And then there were those my internal editor would like to tweak just a bit to make them flow smoother. My interest was still there, but I stumbled on one or more words. Sometimes too, the line made me pause to figure out if I read it correctly. Neither of these speed bumps are good things, especially in the beginning when I'm supposed to be hooked.

I am learning quite a bit from this contest, though. Of all the contests I've read, this one is the most fascinating. And it's short! No meandering through long-winded narrative. No cutting remarks from passersby. And the judging is by acquiring editors, rather than peers.

I was surprised a couple of the first lines I liked didn’t make it to the second round. While others that I didn't think were as successful made the cut. It all depends on what the editors are looking for. There are seven editors at Samhain. Seven chances for a different opinion.

The moderator of this contest promised to share her insights after the contest is over. I'm looking forward to reading what she's discovered and compare it to what I've noticed.

*****

Banned in Canada: Don't ask me why. These are stupid but still kind of funny. Trunk Monkeys

0 comments: