Decompressing for the weekend

I am decompressing. More on RWA workshops next week.

I feel like a weight's been lifted off my shoulders. Finished editing "Fire". I could pitch it as a novella, but I'm hoping my critters will tell me where I can flesh it out so that it can fit comfortably as novel length. It could use another 8K. Yes, brevity is my middle name.

Most people are long winded writers. Not me. You have to pry the words out of me with a crowbar.

WOW bought one of my articles as did Mother Earth News. I wish I had more time to write. This could be habit forming.

I promised Writers Finders an article too. It's coming, Cheri.

Elsewhere:
We had a little excitement in Dallas the other day. An acetylene plant blew up in downtown Dallas. What an acetylene plant was doing in downtown Dallas, I'll never know. Amazingly, no one got killed, but three men were injured. They closed down some of the most congested interstate highways in the city because the plant was smack dab in the center. Cylinders were exploding and shooting off like rockets.

And did you hear about Oscar, the death cat? From the AP: Oscar the cat has an uncanny knack for predicting when nursing home patients are going to die, curling up with them during their final hours.

His accuracy, seen in 25 cases, has led staff to call family members once he has chosen someone. They usually have less than four hours to live.

Is that creepy, or what? I mean, it's nice that he gives family members time to visit their dying loved ones, but it's gotta make you a little paranoid. The staff says, fortunately, those dying are rarely aware of the feline visit.

It makes me wonder why Oscar does it. An animal behaviorist claims it could be as simple as the cat wanting to lie on the heating blanket that's placed on the patient.

Personally, I think it goes back to patterns. Animals are masters at detecting patterns. Oscar could very well be smelling a particular odor that precedes death and simply acts on it. Dogs have been trained to spot cancers, some can recognize the onset of a seizure. I think this probably falls in the same category. He's a cute cat. I just hope I never see him on my bed.

This weekend will involve a movie and some serious sleep. (Hopefully, not at the same time.) Princess, my dog guest will go back to her mom today. Life is good.

I'll post this weekend if anything new turns up.

Comments