https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Friday, July 20, 2007

Just Tell Me

Obviously, I am a heathen. I've always suspected as much, but now I know for sure. The buzz is everywhere about Harry Potter spoilers. I mentioned to several of my friends if they'd heard about the alleged ending for the last Potter book and they looked at me like I was death incarnate.

They backed up, one of them shoving a bulb of garlic in my face, another with a silver crucifix. "Don't tell us!"

I wouldn't, of course. I was just curious if they had read the spoiler. Who's to say the spoiler is real or a hoax? But what continues to intrigue me is the response from so many loyal fans. They do NOT want to know the ending. The joy is in the anticipation, the moment.

I, on the other hand, must be a spawn of the devil. Knowing the endings to stories, whether they are billion dollar enterprises or a newbie's first manuscript makes no difference to me. I want to know the end. I deliberately read the last few pages of published books before I get too far into it just to see who’s left at the end.

Why? I dunno. I guess because the ending isn't really important to me. It's the journey that makes or breaks a book. It's the twists and turns that keep me turning the page.

I admit my particular peeve is when a writer (looking for critiques) insists s/he doesn't want to spoil it for her critters by supplying a synopsis. Trust me. No story is that sacred. If I'm analyzing something, I need to know what they're trying to create in order to see if they were successful. When in reviewer mode, I read for analysis and not enjoyment. They can worry about not "spoiling" the enjoyment once the book gets published.

Still, there are reviewers who don't want to know the ending either, preferring to read it the way the man on the street would. Meh… I have yet to read a single novel that was ruined for me by reading the ending.

Yes, that's me, spawn of the devil, rebel for the ages, and a militant nonconformist. For encores, I've also been known to eat dinner at breakfast time.

Monday: More on RWA conference workshops

6 comments:

Heather B. Moore said...

Since I'm directing a local Writer's Conference in March 2008, I'm interested to know what your favorite classes were at RWA.

Maria Zannini said...

Hi Heather!
I very much enjoyed April Kihlstrom's Time Management workshop.

And I will go out of my way to attend any workshop with Michael Hauge. His class, Uniting Plot Structure and Character Arc was presented in a clear and easy to follow formula that gave me that V-8, hit-in-the-head moment.

Hope this helps!
-maria

Heather B. Moore said...

Thanks! I've given you the Thoughtful Blogger Award from Precision Editing Group's blog: http://writingonthewallblog.blogspot.com/

Janette Rallison said...

I don't want to know how Harry Potter turns out--and then again I do. I don't want to wade through hundreds of pages if I'm going to hate it in the end. Of course, I probably won't have a choice--some one will find a way to tell me who dies in this one before I've read it.

Maria Zannini said...

How very kind. Thank you, Heather!
-maria

Maria Zannini said...

Hi Janette!
I think the key here is respecting people's wishes. I have a friend at work who will read HP all day today.

Come Monday, she will spill the beans to me
--but only because she knows she'll have a willing audience in me. (She's not allowed to discuss it with her husband until he's read it. And he's a slow reader.) :o)
-maria