RWA & Broad Universe

RWA is next week! I am wracked with apprehension because I've never been to a venue this big.

A few years ago, I had to pick up my teenage niece at the Adam's Mark Hotel in Dallas. Her high school was competing in some academic contest and Becky was mad to escape her hotel room and see the sights of Dallas. Kindly, old aunt to the rescue.

Now, I had never been to the Adams Mark Hotel, but when I finally found it I was just as anxious to get away. It was jam-packed with women, all of them impeccably dressed and lugging an assortment of bags and notebooks. As I was waiting for my niece, I asked one of the desk clerks who all these people were. He said they were with RWA.

RW…who? I had just started on my writing life and was a stone-cold, wide-eyed, fiction-writing virgin. I didn't have a clue what those ladies were doing, but they sure looked like they were having fun. When I overheard someone talking about weaving back story, my evil overlord mind instantly plotted on how I could dump dear sweet Becky on a museum bus so I could tag along and listen to these women chat.

Now I'm actually going!

I have to admit, I probably wouldn't have gone if it weren't for the fact that I live so close to Dallas. It was a no-brainer. How could I pass up an opportunity like this in my backyard?

My only real concern is where I'm going to park. I'm sure I'll have to hoof it, which means it'll be sneakers for me.

As lovely and sophisticated as those women from that past conference looked, RWA will have to settle for a comfy and therefore, less cranky Maria. At my age, comfort comes first. Stilettos and black stockings are for the bedroom, and only because I can be assured I won't be wearing them long. LOL

I'm really looking forward to the workshop panels. The list is phenomenal. It'll be hard to choose from all the options.

Maya and Lynn will be there and I hope to hook up with them at some point during the con. I hope to snag an ARC from Sherry Thomas for her new book, Private Arrangements. And while I would love the chance to pitch to agents, I think I'll settle for being the newbie this go round and keep my eyes and ears open.

After reading so many fantastic blogs from other writers attending this conference, I really do feel like I'm surrounded by professionals way above my league. But maybe I can walk out of this with a few friends too.

That's the plan.

*****
And more news from one of my favorite writing boards. Check out their newsletter.

Broad Universe has posted their latest newsletter, BroadSheet, with articles by Lettie Prell, Sue Lange, Ginny McMorrow, and an interview with Joanna Russ by Samuel Delany.

Books reviewed are A Dream of Drowned Hollow by Lee Barwood, Touched by Venom by Janine Cross, Always by Nicola Griffith, Tall, Dark & Dead by Tate Hallaway, The Z Radiant by Jessica Reisman, and The Tale of the Miller's Daughter by JoSelle Vanderhooft.

This is a free newsletter and can be accessed here.

Broad Universe is an organization that promotes the work of women writers of science fiction, fantasy, and horror.

Comments