https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Get a Plan

I'll get back to my usual blog tomorrow.

Maya's query lecture was so much fun. She did a great job and really instilled a sense of purpose.

We had a packed room too.

It reminded me how much we need to support each other as writers. Rally around authors you enjoy and appreciate. Go to their blogs, their book signings, their lectures. Some day, it will be you out there needing someone to be in your corner.

Karma, baby. It all starts with you.

I was talking to a few writers during break and after the meeting and every one of them was so impressed with how methodically Maya went about getting an agent and getting published.

I suppose other people can get away with a more scattered approach, but Maya and I are cut from similar cloth in this regard. While I first entered the writing world out of simple curiosity, once I decided to make this my career, I became obsessed with learning all I could. (Go ahead, ask Greg. He will confirm the "obsessed" part.)

You have to go in with a plan--and a deadline if you're like me and need the ticking time bomb. I gave myself seven years to be gainfully published. Now seven years seems like a long time to me and my rabbit ways, but since I have a full time job and extraordinary circumstances that require a good deal of travel, I had to reconcile myself to the fact that I wasn't Wonder Woman. Seven years was doable to include both a learning curve and accomplishment.

Everyone is different. I do advocate a well thought out plan, a plan that you'll stick to, but if you prefer to wing it, more power to you. I'll be rooting for you either way.

Tomorrow: Markets

2 comments:

Heather B. Moore said...

I'd love to see notes on Maya's query presentation if you have them.

Maria Zannini said...

You know, I never took any notes since I was the 'helper'. Let me ask her to see if she has anything in an electronic format.