https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Mini Movie Reviews

Went to see two movies recently.

The Last Legion starred Colin Firth and Ben Kingsley. I love historicals. Love them. Especially when they deal with myth, but this was a little lackluster in the plot department. Basically, it was the story on how Excaliber came to be.

I guess I should have known I'd be disappointed since this is a Di Laurentis film. Every time one of the Di Laurentis clan have their hand in something, you can count on two things. The settings and costumes will be phenomenal and the plot will be lukewarm. Never fails.

I forgive a lot because I love historicals so much, but the antagonist was a laughable bad guy in a mask. Merlin (Ben Kingsley) got more air time than he deserved and they forced Colin Firth into a really stupid romance.

Thomas Sangster who played the young Caesar was very good though, as were all the actors. It was the plot that suffered.

The other movie we caught was Stardust, a Neil Gaiman story. While the beginning was a bit long and tedious, it all worked out in the end. Robert De Niro as Captain Shakespeare was terrific. That man can play anything! Even a gay pirate.

We also loved the ghost brothers acting as much the audience as the real audience. It probably could have been more tightly edited in the beginning, but over all it was a fun movie with a great cast.

Stardust is a great date movie.
The Last Legion is good for writers who want reference material for their historical settings.

2 comments:

Heather B. Moore said...

I love historicals too, and of course the King Arthur era, and . . . Colin Firth. So I'll probably see it eventually. But it does drive me nuts when a plot is thin.

Maria Zannini said...

I actually liked it despite the thin plot. Colin Firth was a very sympathetic character and the portrayal made Kingsley's character all the more flat.

This is the first time I've ever seen Colin Firth in anything and he was quite the romantic hero--despite the fact they forced him into a romantic relationship that seemed artificial.