PC Tricks

One of my friends has been having computer problems and I offered her my handy-dandy tips that pulled me out of a nasty computer mess recently.

Tip #1: Google is your friend. When an expensive hired gun couldn't figure out a connectivity problem, I took matters into my own hands and googled the error message I kept seeing. It led me to a chat room where other people experienced the same message.

There were tons of geeks and pseudo-geeks who offered dozens of possible solutions. One by one I tried the easy fixes first to see if it would connect me until I hit on the one that fixed my particular problem.

This is dicey if you know nothing about computers, but if you have a modicum of sense it's worth a try. Just don't install or download code unless you're reasonably sure you won't put yourself in a bigger jam.

Tip #2: Keep a notebook where you can log all your error messages, their fixes, or subsequent actions. You'll be amazed at how much you'll depend on it. I also use this notebook to store all my passwords. ---the memory banks aren't what they used to be and this comes in all manner of handy.

Comments