Review

Got my name and story, Thongs for the Memories, mentioned in NY Stringer Magazine by Gert Innsry, 8/20/07.

An excerpt from NY Stringer

Several of the stories are laugh-out-loud funny, though none had me snorting milk from my nose. "Thongs for the Memories", by Maria Zannini, explores the pain of inappropriate underwear, "Thar She Blows", by Janna Cawrse, describes the finer points of boat sanitation, and "Dear Diary", by Ellen Degeneres, muses about a performer's life on the road.

I'm glad Ms. Innsry found my story funny. I'm not sure if I'd like to be responsible for milk snorting, but laugh-out-loud funny is good---darn good.

For the whole article, go here.

*****

I did not go to FenCon yesterday. But I tried. After waiting for quite a while, I finally left when they couldn't get their computer to spit out a badge. This was the first year I didn't pre-register. Had I pre-registered I probably wouldn't have had any trouble getting in.

Call it a feeling, but FenCon also had a sparse look about it this year, as if it were thrown together. There were far fewer panels than last year and the atmosphere seemed cold and unwelcoming, not at all like past cons.

This hotel was a lot nicer than where they normally held the con, but it didn't make up for the sparseness of the con itself. Also, the volunteers seemed disgruntled or irate. Couldn't tell which. But probably the most telling of all was that there were very few con-goers. For the first day of an event that seemed odd.

I don't even know if I'll try to go later today. We'll see.

Comments

Mike Keyton said…
Maria,
this is a comment ref your previous blog - just in case you don't check past postings for comments. As I've said already, I thing your new website is excellent and along those lines I thought you'd be interested in this paragraph from the New York Times. Obviously you're on the ball.
Mike.

COLORIZING Do movie posters do much to fill theater seats? Armin Vit, a graphic designer, believes they may. Many of the top films have had dark-hued posters. It is, he wrote on Under Consideration, a Web site for graphic designers, “telling that black is the color of choice in movie posters.” In his review of posters for popular films, the only exceptions were G-rated films (underconsideration.com).
Maria Zannini said…
Very cool! Thanks for the new link. I will check it out.

Color, like fashion--and even genres are cyclical. From what I've gathered in the patterns I've seen recently, we (as a culture) are once again moving towards the arcane. Hence the darker tonal values.

Thanks for stopping by, Mike.