https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Signs

I tend not to discuss writing with my non-writing friends. For a long time I wouldn't even admit to being a writer. My sister-in-law ratted me out when she found one of my articles in a magazine. After that, my double-life was on display.

But the reason I keep my writing life on the low-low is because my non-writing friends have no clue how long it takes to find an agent or a publisher for a book. They don't realize how long it takes to get a response from an editor for an article or a short story.

Many times they give you a look that says: What's wrong with you? Or worse. What's wrong with your book? ---sigh.

Of course, it doesn't help that I am the world's worst when it comes to mailing out queries, so my reply rate is worse than the national writer average.

Lately, even my writer friends (who know better) have been asking me for news on my latest two novels, even though I only sent the last one out a week ago. I've gotten some favorable feedback, but I still don't know anything concrete.

I sent out two queries for the fantasy and immediately got a request from one agent, who also happens to be on my 'A' list. That's been my most exciting news to date.

As one of my friends said: That's a good sign. It means you're going in the right direction. Hallelujah! I was so tired of going in the wrong direction. ;o)

2 comments:

Heather B. Moore said...

Congratulations on the interest from the agent! I need to get going on the query process. Absolutely dreading it. I had written about 2 novels before I "told" anyone besides my husband and parents that I was trying to get published.

Maria Zannini said...

Thanks!

Query letters are bears, but I think if you write them with the same passion as the story itself, that enthusiasm manifests in the query letter.

My query letters are exceedingly short. If I can't sell an idea in under 300 words, then I probably don't have it condensed down to its core elements yet.

Other people query en masse too. I personally don't think that's a good idea. It takes time to hone a good query. Until I'm sure that query letter rocks, I don't want to risk ruining my chances on all my best prospects.