https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Winning and Other Goals

Thank you, Heather!

I won one of Heather Moore's books from her Out of Jerusalem series. I'm taking it to work with me for my lunch hour reading.

I'll admit to reading a little of it as soon as I got the book. I think I'm going to like it. The imagery is lush and genuine. It was easy to get comfortable with the story.

For more information on her series, check out her website. Heather also has a blog here.

*****

Sigh...always a bridesmaid.

I got a letter from Writers of the Future telling me I made Honorable Mention (again!) Agh! I wasn't so sure about this story. It was politically risqué so I was surprised it got as far as the finals.

I've known two people win the WoTF contest. Fabulous writers both. Maybe the third time will be the charm for me. They keep waggling that carrot in front of me and I wanna bite. LOL

Heh...maybe I should make WoTF a goal.

*****

Speaking of goals

One of my list groups brought up goals as a topic. Goals are good.

I like to update my goals as I go along. So if I accomplish A, it automatically disappears and is replaced with B. This keeps me moving and not dwelling on old accomplishments.

There are also maintenance goals too. Like the newsletter or the blog, something I have to keep up with regularly. Maintenance goals are usually small benchmarks, but they serve to bolster your confidence for the bigger things on the list.

It also give me a sense of responsibility. It makes me feel needed.

*****
It's 9-11 once again. I honor the fallen.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
Thomas Jefferson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the attendees at Taos was, I think, a winner of WotF. She was one of maybe a dozen people who all went to this conference where they wrote on the spot. She wasn't the grand prize winner but she's really good. Her name is Kim Jollow and she wrote the start of an extremely clever and amusing novel for Taos.

Dorothy

Maria Zannini said...

I know some people bash WoTF, but I think it's been a great promoter of SF. And they pay darn well. I do all sorts of cheering when someone I know makes it in their books--especially if I critted them. :o)