https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Argh, me beauty

I'm in Eugie Foster's Worldbuilding Workshop and I finally turned in my first assignment. After a couple of minutes, the file comes up on the Yahoo group mail and I open it to make sure everything is in there.

You guessed it. I found a typo. How the heck does that happen?

Oh well. Interesting assignment. Whether I did it right or not, I'll find out tomorrow, but it did give my rabbit brain a good workout. I may very well come to like this class. LOL.

*****

I have always wanted to write a pirate story. Honest! I want to write about a woman pirate who's afraid of water, only for the life of me, I can't figure out how I can convince the reader why any woman would want to rape and pillage on the high seas if she's afraid of water.

Any ideas?

*****

I am aggravated beyond reason today. My web host has decided to improve their site and I cannot figure out how it works. Argh!

The site is mongo pretty and has more bells and whistles than a shiny new bike, but why couldn't they have left it alone? My brain is full. I can't learn any more techy stuff.

It's been an Argh! day.

4 comments:

rcloenen-ruiz said...

Why not make her a pirate of the air instead of a pirate of the high seas?

She could be captain of an airship. I like the idea of a woman pirate. Breaks the stereotype. It also opens up interesting scenarios for captive men...ha, ha. *evil grin*

Maria Zannini said...

>>Why not make her a pirate of the air instead of a pirate of the high seas?

You know, I thought about that but then I wondered if it would be too easy to compare it to Neil Gaiman's "Stardust".

I like the idea of someone being surrounded by something they're afraid of. It gives you instant tension.

Maybe I could make her unable to swim---or deathly afraid of sharks--or mer-people. ???

The airship idea is loaded with possibilities and is MUY cool, which at least explains why Gaiman is cool.

Thanks, Rochita!

Mike Keyton said...

I went to a party in New York some twenty years ago and they had a fortune teller. She warned me that a motorbike would be the death of me, and I haven't been on one since. But what if circumstances were so over-riding I had to go on one - once, or over a period of time. It would provide a nice tension point - enough to bring me out in a sweat. Transfer that to the sea, where your woman has no other recourse but to flee - and the sea was her only refuge - even though a witch/gypsy/grandma or some other crazy loon had prophesied she'd die a violent and horrible death at sea.
It might provide something.
Mike.

Maria Zannini said...

Now that's an idea. That would make sense.

Thanks, Mike.