https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

HB Moore

A while back I mentioned that I won a book from H.B. Moore’s “Out of Jerusalem” series. I got my choice of books and chose book 2 because the title was "A Light in the Wilderness" and I have a soft spot for survival stories.

This book did not disappoint. I love historical fiction in all its forms. This one is based on scripture, which at first sent up red flags for me because I don't want a novel to preach to me. I adore Orson Scott Card and Anita Diamant so that makes me doubly picky about my scripture-based fiction.

In the end, it's all about the people. No matter what you write, it has to be a story with characters you care about. You want to feel as if their journey was your journey. It gives you a warm satisfaction to be a part of their lives.

I loved the way Heather weaved her story from one scene to the next. Her historical knowledge was spread across the pages like grains of sand, giving the story a wonderful texture without being heavy handed. I really appreciated the subtlety in how she introduced customs, social mores, and every day life.

If you like historical fiction based on scripture, I can recommend this book. It's a book of journeys that speaks to the wanderer in all of us.

Edit: I meant to post Heather's blog. And this is her website.

5 comments:

Heather B. Moore said...

Maria, I just saw this. Thanks for the kind review. Ironically, Orson Scott Card and I publish our religious fiction with sister-companies. People ask me all the time if I've read his scriptural fiction. Not yet, but my sister loaned me the three books on biblical women that he wrote. And I did crack open "Sarah" a few days ago. So that's progress for me :)

Tristi Pinkston said...

Heather is a great writer and does a wonderful job of combining the history with the fiction.

Josi said...

I love Heather's books as well, she does such a great job. And I loved your review--you must be a writer for the way the words paint such a picture.

Maria Zannini said...

Hi ladies!
Thanks for popping by.

Heather, I'm sorry I didn't email you right away to let you know how much I enjoyed the book. So I did the next best thing and let all my readers know.

Thanks for introducing me to your writing.

Anne Bradshaw said...

I totally agree with everything you say about Heather Moore's books, Maria. And you put it so well. I look forward to reading her latest in the series.