Creature Catalog

The other day on Fang, Fur & Fey they had a post on paranormal creatures you don't see much in books. I was pleased to see I had a couple of them in mine.

In the first book, Touch of Fire, we have the Elemental mages with a cameo by a banshee. In my current wip, I do have werewolves, but there are also werehyenas, a couple of ghosts, some man-bats and the walking dead. I'm covering all my bases. lol

Someone on FFF mentioned hellhounds. Smacks self on forehead. I have my very own hellhound sleeping on the couch right now! I need to write a story about him. Maybe a short story. Ooh…maybe a funny story. …After I finish this one.

Poor Tank is looking up at me right now and praying. Lord, don't let that crazy woman write about me.

Zombies: That word always struck me as being rather modern in tone. 1871 seems to be its first mention of reference. Since my wip is a historical, I need to get this right. The word they used back in the 16th century for the walking dead was ghoul. So no zombies in my book. They are ghouls. Fetid, flesh rotting ghouls. Mmm…yummy.

By the way, on FFF, they are having prize giveaways in honor of their first birthday. Click on the link on the left hand side of the page to enter.

Addendum: I've been mulling over the man-bat creatures. I need them capable of flight, but I've thus far refused to call them bats or vampires because really, I've had my fill of that trope.

I had decided (after more research) that I was going to make up a name for these creatures. But just now I looked up and saw one of my gargoyle statuettes, and I said, YES. That's it. They'll be gargoyles, which also fits in perfectly with the story.

Sanity saved for one more day.

Sheesh...sometimes the answer is right in front of you. Like today.

Comments

Heather Moore said…
Interesting creatures! I haven't been a huge fantasy reader, but I'm trying to change that. I just read Wicked Lovely.