High Hopes

There's a song that Frank Sinatra once recorded called High Hopes. You might remember some of the lyrics.

Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant, can't
Move a rubber tree plant

But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time your gettin low 'stead of lettin go
Just remember that ant

Oops there goes another rubber tree plant

Greg is fond of saying that I remind him of a little ant because I just keep going with little regard for my insignificance. --Hey, somebody's gotta move that rock. It might as well be me.

The road to publication is a terribly debilitating lifestyle. It gnaws on your self esteem constantly and the pay sucks most of the time. The only reason to put yourself through this agony is because you enjoy the process of writing.

Now admit it, the process is fun, isn't it? I have a blast creating my worlds.

I usually see blog posts on how depressing the writer's life is but I thought I would blog today on what keeps me going. Speaking as someone who is one with the ant, I feel eminently qualified. LOL

Positive Attitude: Be the ant and believe in yourself. It starts with two little words. I can.

Open mindedness: Be open to new ideas and different opinions. You don’t have to buy into all of them, but don't rule them out just because it seems foreign to you. Fresh perspectives are hard to come by. Treasure them.

Grow a support group: A support group is essential to your well being, but don't allow yourself to be so dependent on them that you can't write without constant reassurance. Friends are wonderful, but true friends know when to stop holding your hand and smack you on the back of the head.

Have fun: I am one voice among MILLIONS of other writer ants, so I don't take myself too seriously. Writing should be fun. I'm not here to preach, teach or bare my soul. This isn't therapy. It's entertainment. I want my readers to enjoy the ride.

Laugh: Misery might love company, but you'll gain more friends with laughter than moans and grumbles. We all get knocked down. It's the people who get back up that succeed.

Comments

Sherrill Quinn said…
All of this is so true, Maria. Thanks for the reminder. :)
Maria Zannini said…
Heck, I take my cues from you. You're a great role model!