https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Friday, November 9, 2007

Just my Luck

I am incredibly lucky sometimes, even in the most unlucky situations.

First thing yesterday morning I got a rejection from an agent. Not so lucky, say you? Well, not only did she take the time to send me a personal email, she said I had a good book on my hands and called my writing great. Her only concern was that she didn't think she could sell that particular story to NY. The ironic thing is that one of my CPs foresaw this before I pitched the story.

Anyway, my friend called me on the phone and immediately made me feel better. (Despite the fact that she had enough on her shoulders.) She reminded me that I got the validation I wanted from this agent. And now I also know my work has reached that next critical tier. My job now is not to lose momentum and try NY with something else.

By the way, the agent wrote again and said she'd love to see something else from me. Wowsa!

My next unlucky venture is when I tried to pitch an idea to a HUGE writing organization for their next conference. I got back a perfunctory email telling me I missed the deadline. I thanked the lady politely, and closed by telling her what my idea was.

She immediately wrote me back. If I can send her a proposal by today she'll put my request before the board. Who knows if they'll go for it, but it was worth a shot and I am so grateful that nice lady offered to give me a second chance.

My last lucky break was that I got paid for a couple of writing gigs yesterday and today I will send out invoices for two more.

Life is not bad. Not bad at all.

4 comments:

Heather B. Moore said...

Congrats on all of it, Maria!

Maria Zannini said...

Thank you, Heather! I have more good news coming too. Hopefully, I'll make that announcement soon.

Kaz Augustin said...

Congratulations, Maria! And well done. Good luck with the writing. Only a matter of time before you land an agent.

Maria Zannini said...

Thanks, K!