https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Monday, December 10, 2007

Guest Blogging

Wow! Stuff is happening so fast and the book hasn't even gone through edits yet.

I am scheduled to be a regular guest blogger at Samhain's weblog. My first appearance will be December 21. I guess I'll have to think of something clever to say. ~grin~

I've also been scheduled for a chat. My first! That should be just before TOUCH OF FIRE debuts this summer. Darn. That means I'll have to be clever at least twice.

One of my goals for 2008 is to expand my internet presence. I'm glad now that I've had time developing my blog voice. My first 'blog' was really a regular journal that I kept along with my website. When I redesigned the website, I wiped out all the journal entries except for the few that I thought were still interesting or helpful to writers. I haven't given them anchor links so you'll have to scroll through the whole list, but it's still over there under the archives if you're interested.

What I think is neat is that I reread some of them and remembered where I was at that point in my career and what I was trying to achieve. It's like a mini time capsule for me.

The website and blog have been an extraordinary training ground for me, and I've met a lot of new people through them. I was slow to get on the blog bandwagon, but I'm glad I took the plunge.

It taught me a lot about voice, business demeanor, appropriate topics and time management. Treating the blog as a responsibility made me aware and sensitive to the writing community as a whole.

Before I started blogging, I visited a lot of sites. It helped me decide what I wanted from my blog and also how to go about achieving it. I wasn't interested in sharing my daily life because…well, it's boring. So it left me with the quandary of pulling together a blog that served a useful purpose yet still be warm and inviting.

As I surfed the web, I noticed which blogs I visited the most. I liked bloggers who were informative, positive, yet folksy; people I'd like to chat with at the local coffeehouse. These are the blogs I used as my models.

The journal, and later the blog have been a work in progress. It's been a wonderful vehicle for me and I hope for others who stop by. My modus operandi is to post topics of interest to writers, links to good resources and markets. Occasionally, I'll tell a story from my wicked, wicked past just to mix it up.

Thank you to everyone who visits--even if you're like me and lurk most of the time. Feel free to comment or shoot me an email. If the latest is any indication, it should be an interesting 2008. I hope you'll stick with me. You never know. There might be cake involved.

Tomorrow: Markets have been few and far between, but I'll see what I can find for you.

See you then!

2 comments:

rcloenen-ruiz said...

I love reading your blog, Maria. I think you've done a fantastic job at keeping it up to date and professional. I shall look forward to reading your entry at the Samhain blog.

Maria Zannini said...

Thanks, Rochita. I learn from my peers. :o)