https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Friday, December 21, 2007

Samhain & MySpace

I'm over at Samhain's weblog at 9am CST. Be a pal and leave me a message over there --or here --or both. I'd love to hear from you!

And despite my better judgment, I signed up at MySpace. Slaps head. What was I thinking?

Oh yeah, networking, rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous (know any?) and rampant frustration.

The frustration part always happens when I come upon an alien interactive website. MySpace is amazingly complex and simple at the same time. If you know html, you are in like Flynn. Otherwise, you are dependent on the kindness of friends.

My biggest gripe comes from all the ads. But the site is free, so I have no right to complain. I probably won't notice them in a few weeks, but right now it's aggravation on top of frustration.

So I am shedding my introvert's skin and going out there to press the virtual flesh. If you read this blog and belong to MySpace, we probably have the same interests. Please go over and add me to your Friend's list---cuz God knows I don't know what I'm doing. I was lucky to get the background picture in, anything more was sheer dumb luck.

I am not fully absorbed into the friend pyramid yet, but I took some time to study places like MySpace, Facebook, and LinkedIn. I'd even add Live Journal to that study, even though it's only a blog community. MySpace seems to have the largest community by far, with an estimated 289 million. That's a lot of people. The authors I read tend to congregate at MySpace, so it seemed like the logical choice and it finally tipped the scales in their favor.

So here I am, at Samhain and MySpace. If you see me, say hi. I'm alone...so alone! LOL And I'm pretty much lost.

6 comments:

dawtheminstrel said...

Oh I missed it! I'm so sorry, Maria.

I have trouble with My Space. LJ seems really easy to use compared to it.

Maria Zannini said...

The blog post is still up at Samhain. That's permanent.

I agree about MySpace. I hate it, but it seems to be the most well known and the biggest. If the ads don't drive me away, I'll keep it for a while.

Mike Keyton said...

I loved your My Space Page with only one caveat. It must be pretty high maintenance - and for people like me who procrastinate while combing their hair it'd be a nightmare exploring all those links. I've just spent a pleasant twenty minutes. That portrait of you staring out to sea is pretty neat too.
Mike.

Maria Zannini said...

Hi Mike!
I think the MySpace page will remain mainly for profile purposes. I can't afford to start a blog there or add too many fancy links. Maybe someday when I can acquire a teenager to teach me how all those shiny things work.

rcloenen-ruiz said...

I shall have to visit your MySpace one of these days. I've visited there once, but I must be deficient in some way because I just can't figure out how that thing works.

I thought I'd post on here how much I enjoyed reading your Christmas story. So lovely, it had me teary-eyed.

Maria Zannini said...

Hi Rochita!
MySpace was hard for me. It just seems so jumbled. It grates against my sense of order.

Glad you liked my Christmas story.
Thanks for stopping by.