Ripped from the headlines of Carol Burge's blog.
Red Sage Publishing is holding their first writing contest.There will be two prizes awarded for the best stories. First prize will be publication in the Secrets anthology! Second prize will be publication as an e-book!Here are the basic rules:
1. All entries must be original, unpublished erotic romance novellas of 25,000 to 35,000 words in English featuring an alpha male hero.
2. To enter, send a completed manuscript as an rtf file to Submissions@eredsage.com with “Alpha Male Contest” in the subject line. Only rtf formats will be accepted. All other formats will be automatically disqualified and deleted unopened. Include your full name, contact information, and credentials (if any) in your cover e-mail.
3. Entries must be received by March 31, 2008, at midnight eastern time. You may enter as many times as you wish. By entering, you are certifying that your entry is your original unplagiarized work, that you own all rights in this work, that this work has never been published, and that you are willing and able to publish it with Red Sage. Any entry not meeting these requirements will be automatically disqualified.
4. In the event that none of the contest entries are deemed publishable, no winners will be declared. All entries will be reviewed by Red Sage editorial staff. All decisions are final. Non-winning manuscripts will be deleted at the conclusion of the contest.
5. For further tips on what Red Sage looks for in a manuscript, check our submissions guidelines at http://www.eredsage.com/Writers_Guidelines-sp8.html and our blog at http://redsagerevealed.blogspot.com/
6. There is no fee for entering. Winners will receive a standard Red Sage publishing contract offer with standard Red Sage advance, royalties, and other terms.
7. This contest is void where prohibited by law.
I've read some of the Secrets books. There're some good stories in there. If you think can hang with those authors, give Red Sage a try.
This week sees the launch of Charnwood Arts' clickIT! And miniWORDS 2008competitions. If you fancy turning your hand to photography or creativewriting and being in with a chance of winning a cash prize then we have achallenge for you!This year clickIT! has three image categories: Landscape, Decisive Momentand Photo Essay and there are three first prize awards of £500, £500 and£1,000 respectively.miniWORDS asks you to create a small but perfectly formed piece of writingin one of the following three categories: Haiku, miniVERSE and miniSTORIES.Each category will offer a £250 first prize for those most skilled atbrevity!Both competitions run from December until May 2008 and entry is free! Forfull details and to enter online please visit our websites: http://miniwords2008.sharedspace.org/ and http://clickit2008.sharedspace.org/
Fiction and nonfiction satire and humor. Needs interviews of comedians, essays on comedy and creative writing. Will consider comics. Pays 50 cents/word for all rights.
5th Annual Ultra-Short Contest
Prizes To $150
150 Words Max. Poetry, 16 Lines Max. Deadline 2-15-2008.
Update on doing Amazon Reviews
I just realized why I couldn't leave a review for my buddy Mike, and earlier for Maya. You have to buy something from Amazon first. Strangely enough, I've never had to buy anything online, so it automatically ignores me now that I want to review.
I feel terrible about this because I want to support my friends. But I do understand Amazon's reasoning. They want to get something out of this too. Plus the fact that it probably weeds out a few (but not all) slash and burn reviewers.
One of the loops I belong to had a post from an author who received a scathing (and worthless) review from a drive-by reviewer on Amazon. I couldn't believe the contemptuousness of the review. It was blatantly abusive and unsubstantiated.
Such atrocities are worthy of a longer post. Look for it in the future.
Meanwhile if you buy from Amazon, I hope you'll read Mike's excerpt and opt to leave a review in my stead.
Water, Communication & Food - Last week I griped about being *too *connected, but in light of the recent tornadoes in Texas and Oklahoma, I have to eat my words. There are times when co...
3 days ago