https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Friday, January 18, 2008

No Room at the Inn

My company is sending me on the road in a couple of weeks. Plane trips are always good for catching up on reading, so I don't mind.

But it got me to thinking about all the books I have. I have two residences, and both of them have entire libraries filled with BOOKS!

I have a bad habit of hanging on to my books. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older and less attached to objects or if I'm looking to simplify my life, but I dread having to buy any more books unless they're in e-format. I just don't have the room and I don't want to donate any more space to books I'll only read once.

I am sorely tempted to viciously cull my stacks. If I found any locals that would give my books a good home I'd be glad to donate them. I just don't want them to turn around and sell them---cuz I could've done that.

*****
Over on OWW, members have been showing interest in developing a synopsis focus group. Even if you don't belong to the workshop, at least join the Yahoo group. It usually has some good writing info and now that we have a fulltime moderator (thank you, Leah) it's quite a pleasant place.

More news on the synopsis focus group as it develops.

4 comments:

Carol Burge said...

Maria,

I have/had the same problem. I had so many books I just didn't have room for any more, but, like you, I didn't want to part with any of them.

Finally, I bit the bullet and went through them and boxed some of them up, then I posted an offer to my local Craigslist. They were gone the first day I listed them. I will admit that my office looks a lot neater. :)

Oh, and thanks for the synopsis info-I'm on my way over to sign up!

Maria Zannini said...

Craigslist, eh... Thanks, Carol.

OWW is primarily geared toward SFF and Horror, but in my mind a snyopsis is a synopsis. Lurk on the Yahoo list for a while and see how you like it. It looks like the focus group will start in March. I will post another announcement when that happens.

Jaye Wells said...

Why not donate them to the library? Or a local women's shelter?

Maria Zannini said...

I've given a lot of books to several libraries, but I hadn't thought of the women's shelter. Good idea!