https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Friday, February 29, 2008

Crying In My Pie: The Scalzi Effect

A while back, a meme was going around asking if anyone had ever known anyone important. I discovered that many of my friends have rubbed shoulders with greats and near greats.

The best I could muster is once I met the guy who played Darth Vader. No, not James Earl Jones. The other guy. The one in the suit. Very nice (BIG) man, but not on the red carpet list of greats.

I wracked my brain trying to remember if I ever even came close to meeting anyone famous. Most of my friends have had someone memorable in their lives; rock stars, gangsters, presidents. But me? Zilcho!

And then it came to me. The most famous man I almost "met" was John Scalzi. Yeah, that Scalzi. And he ditched me like an ugly date. LOL

Well. Actually, I missed him by a few hours. A couple of years ago, Scalzi teamed up with Speculative Literature Foundation to act as a mentor. I submitted my pathetic little cry for guidance, with the cryptic message, "I like pie, too." It was a secret code only The Great Scalzi would understand.

Alas, all I got was a nice note from the administrator saying the mentor program was closed to any further submissions. Would I like someone else?

Hell, no! I wanted Scalzi! The guy went to uni in Chicago. He was a copywriter. And he liked pie. Just like me! We were perfect for each other.

So, John Scalzi, my almost mentor, I am still stumbling along, getting published here and there, and learning the publishing ropes all by my lonesome. You broke my heart and you never even knew it.

I have never been able to look at another piece of pie since.

*****
In other news...

Guess who just saw her new cover for TOUCH OF FIRE?
I am very, very stoked!

Can't wait to show it to you!

10 comments:

dawtheminstrel said...

Cover art! How exciting! What's it like as an artist to let someone else provide the work? Is that hard?

Maria Zannini said...

I was a little nervous at first because as you know, we artists have such fragile egos. ROTFL!

No, the artist was great! More than great because she really wanted me to be happy with the cover. That's the measure of a true professional.

We threw ideas at each other and we finally came to a meeting of the minds. It has to go past her art director for the final blessing and then it will be up on the Samhain site.

Josephine Damian said...

Maria, thanks for finding me on myspace!

One of these days I'll blog about my disasterous run in with John Grisham at a gas station.

Cover art? Looking forward to seeing it. What an exciting time this must be for you!

Maria Zannini said...

Grisham! Oh, do tell. That has to be a doozy.

Kaz Augustin said...

I met John de Lancie (Q) at a Star Trek con in Australia. I was in the Hustler's Room, trying to get my books in order (owner of an sf&f bookstore a lifetime ago), and he came by to look for some peace and quiet, I think, and we struck up a conversation. He was such a funny and intelligent man. We didn't get much time to chat, because he was guest speaker at the next scheduled panel (and I remember vividly a young woman in a Starfleet uniform shooting daggers at me the whole time he was around!), but he was a very gracious person and I became a Q fan straight after that! LOL

At the bookstore, I also met Patrick Tilley, Terry Pratchett, Greg Bear and Tad Williams through signings, although Raymond Feist (unfortunately) went to one of the chain stores. Darn!

Maria Zannini said...

You met Q! Oh, man!

And I can't scrape gum off of Scalzi's shoe. LOL!

Tessa Dare said...

I just saw your cover on the site! It's gorgeous. Can't wait for the book to come out. :)

Maria Zannini said...

Hi Tessa!
(Grinning madly.) Anne does good work!

Lexxie Couper said...

I dated the guy who was inspiration for the quirky Australian movie, Strictly Ballroom for three and a half years. If anyone knows the movie... yep, totally accurate depiction of Scott's family. Totally.

Maria Zannini said...

Sounds like you've been leading a colorful life, Lexxie! :o)