https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Review of COMBAT!


COMBAT! is a novella by KS Augustin. Judging by the title, I assumed there would be a fair amount of battle, yet I hoped it was more than that. Hoo-boy, was there!

The story is set on an alien planet where combatants willingly enter a high stakes fight. Only the best of the best make it to this level in a no-holds barred contest where the sleazy organizer, Dinoh, holds all the cards.

The combatants are monitored nearly every moment while they're there and their food is drugged with powerful aphrodisiacs, providing for a profitable sideline business for Dinoh who resells the footage for a pay-for-view crowd.

The heroine is Ebony Strike, a woman who feels compelled to enter this game in order to secure much needed funds for her starving planet. (Yes, the prize is that big!)

Her counterpart is Aldanen, a man-sized eyeful who will be her last combatant of this tourney (if she survives that long). Aldanen has an agenda of his own and it interferes with Ebony's plans.

I adore a good fight scene. But in my opinion, it's the one thing most books fail to do well.

Not this one.

Augustin, as I came to find out, is an expert martial artist, and it shows. The fight sequences were tight and easy to follow. There were no unbelievable moves, no angst-filled heroes or heroines thinking out every move, and no yakky dialog. The story moved forward constantly.

And the sex was hot. Augustin really knows how to set the standard for intimacy. Like the fight scenes, the sex scenes were incredibly primal and deliberate. The lovers' moves had an intensity and an energy that paralleled the clash between combatants. The heat is palpable and you can't wait for these people to tear their clothes off.

I recommend COMBAT!. It rocked. Buy the e-book here.

I contacted KS Augustin and as we talked, I was captivated by her very broad and colorful background. This woman has traveled the world and her experience in the martial arts is AMAZING!

Look for an interview with Augustin soon. I think you'll enjoy it.

If you have a question for her, email me or drop in a comment. Here's your chance to ask an expert martial artist and a very accomplished writer some pointed questions.

6 comments:

Kaz Augustin said...

Yikes, Maria! I'm blushing under my brown skin here. Really glad you liked it. :) Am more than happy to answer any questions, so will pop back regularly to check. Fire away!

Maria Zannini said...

I've gotten a few emailed questions, but I'd like to save them for the interview.

Let me email you at the end of the week and I'll send you a list of questions.

Glad to have you here, K!

wordtryst said...

Combat was two firsts for me: first e-book, and first sci-fi romance. I'll read anything if it's an entertaining story with great writing. Combat was both.

And I have to say that unless memory fails me, KS Augustin's sex scenes are among the best I've read anywhere. Hot!

Maria Zannini said...

Agreed! It made me all melty. (grin) Thanks for stopping by wordtryst.

Kaz Augustin said...

Liane (aka Wordtryst), you're a drink of sweet, cool water, my darling. Thanks for your kind comments. Between Maria and I, we'll convert more readers to The Dark Side (s-f romance) yet. Mwahahahahaha.

Maria Zannini said...

I always wanted to be a missionary. :o)