https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Links of Interest

Maya Reynolds is hosting a two hour workshop this weekend at the Richardson Public Library for the Writers Guild of Texas. The topic is "Understanding the Publishing Industry".

She will address such topics as:

• Why is publishing so different from other industries?
• What you need to know about publishers, bookstores, and agents BEFORE you query.
• What are agents looking for?
• What to expect once you have a publishing contract.
• What you need to know about genres.

The workshop is FREE and is this Saturday, February 8, 2008 from 10:30 to 12:30. If you're in the area, stop by. The library is located at: 900 Civic Center Drive, Richardson, Texas.

*****

That Josie has done it again. The woman is going to make me broke. LOL! Josephine Damian did a killer review on "Your First Novel" co-written by NY literary agent Ann Rittenberg and her client Laura Whitcomb. I have to admit, I would have never checked out the book judging by the title alone. But when Josie parsed it, I was hooked and bought it by the time she finished reviewing it.

Part 1 is here. And Part 2 is here. I won't add to the review. Go read both parts for yourself.

Edited: And then she gave me a shout out yesterday! I must owe her money. :o)

*****

Tia Nevitt, who always gives me food for thought had an interesting post yesterday and posed the question: "If you are an author or aspire to be one, does your novel have an unforgettable "oh, wow!" moment?"

That really gave me pause to think. A story has to involve me right from the start, but I do so yearn to find that "oh, wow!" moment. I think that's what elevates a good story to memorable.

The most memorable thing about "Touch Of Fire" is the world building. We're on an Earth 1200 years in the future surrounded by things the reader instantly recognizes, yet the characters in the story don't. I had a lot of fun building those moments into a scene. There aren't a lot of them but you feel rewarded for knowing something the character doesn't.


So how about you? What is the neatest "oh wow" moment in your book?

6 comments:

Josephine Damian said...

Maria: lol - that "Your First Novel" is a worthwhile buy - a Bible for first time authors. But most books I rent from the library.

Thanks for the shout out!

Hey, you haven't changed your myspace avatar to the new book cover yet!

Are you familiar with Linnea Sinclair's books? I'm in the same RWA chapter with her.

Maria Zannini said...

Okay, so now I get spanked by you and Kaz! I'll try to get all my sites updated within the week. I never realized everything would move so fast once the novel got air time.

Ref: Linnea Sinclair
Cool! I've got Games of Command on my TBR pile.

It's such a small world. It's like seven degrees to Kevin Bacon. LOL

dawtheminstrel said...

A wow moment? Hm. Desirable indeed, but hard to judge. In my brewer book, maybe the alchemy scene near the end? The MC and her guy are being held by the bad guys, who demand she brew gold for them. My hope is that it's scary!

I liked the moments in ToF when I recognized elements of our world. I remember bursting into laughter when Meekee first appeared.

Dorothy

Maria Zannini said...

Meekee was my favorite too.

With your Brewer book I would definitely say that the gold-making scene was a true wow moment. Not only is the reader held in suspense on what will happen next, but for one thin moment you wonder if there is actual magic occuring. It was a pivotal scene that blurred the lines between reality and magic.

Kaz Augustin said...

Been meaning to write a reply to your post for a while. There can always be multiple "oh, wow!" moments. In each of my finished wips (tautology), I have several "oh, wow!" moments (I'd like to think), and several "oh-oh"s. (I'm not shamelessly plugging 'cos I haven't sold either of them yet.) Like:

* In The Turk, there's one early one that describes the unique nature of the hero's affliction.
* Then another when the heroine has to decide whether or not to save a character's life.
* And then something that's very important to everybody's wellbeing fails.

And there are several "oh-oh" moments where you think "are they going to get out of this?", but which are resolved relatively quickly. I think if you can plan for such moments, it saves you from the problem of the Sagging Middle, imo.

Maria Zannini said...

>>it saves you from the problem of the Sagging Middle, imo.

That's true. It's creating those elusive "oh wow" moments that's the trick. Subtlety is key. I've seen too many mss. that oversell a concept. But if you can find your "oh wow" moment you feel just as rewarded as the reader.