https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Monday, June 16, 2008

Markets

A little more tweaking on the website and I can call it done. I'll probably finish it off next weekend. Thanks to everyone who wrote me to tell me what they saw on their browsers.

Let's do some markets, but first a warning about a scam contest. I posted this on a few of my loops, but I didn't get them all.

From the Writer Beware blog.
Apparently, someone is running an entry fee scam using the SFWA as the front. According to Victoria Strauss, SFWA is taking steps to shut this contest down.

This is part of their ad:

The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Inc. is currently accepting science fiction story submissions of no more than 3000 words. All genres of science fiction accepted. Winners will get published in a Random House book titled "Asimovs of the Future."

The cash prizes for winners are as follows: 1st Place: $10,000, 2nd Place: $5,000, 3rd Place: $2,000, 10 Honorary Mentions: $1000

I went to the Craigslist site and it looks like they've been shut down, but it's still up at FLIXER. Please beware. This is a scam contest. For the whole post go here.

Let's be careful out there. On to real markets.

*****

Per Contra

PAY: $.07/word

The International Journal of the Arts, Literature and Ideas. Per Contra accepts submissions of short fiction up to 3,000 words. We publish both flash fiction and short stories.


*****

Happy Tales Literary Contest

Entry Fee: None
Contest rules: Take any literary work with a sad, disturbing, or negative ending and supply a happy, affirmative, uplifting, humorous ending. The new ending must more or less parody the idiom, style, atmosphere, and so on, of the original. Entries will be judged on the basis of humor, insight, and quality of parody. Entries should be no more than ten pages in length and may be submitted on paper or via email.

Deadline: September 30, 2008.

Award: $200 cash money and the prestigious, coveted, etc., Nahum Tate Cup.

Entries, including the winning entry, may be read and praised and/or ridiculed by contest judges in a public session of the Humanities Montana Festival of the Book, October 23-25, 2008, Missoula, MT. Winning entries will be weblished at the Festival website or published in other media. Entries become the non-exclusive property of the Montana Festival of the Book.

*****

Chicken Soup for the Soul: Resolution Stories

Release Date: December 2008

Stories about resolutions We all do it!! We make those New Year's resolutions each year and we try so hard to keep them. How did yours work out? We would love to hear from you about the resolutions you made, those that worked and those that didn't. What did you learn? The deadline date for story submissions is August 31, 2008.

Please note that this deadline could change so the sooner, the better!

4 comments:

Marshall Payne said...

Thanks for the links, Maria. I actually kept my New Year’s resolution. I had a really bad 2007, going the last nine months of the year without a sale. My NYR was to not make a blog post until I made one. I kept it, but seven days is not much of a resolution. :)

Maria Zannini said...

My pleasure, Marshall. :o)

You can always check the Markets tag on the sidebar too for past entries.

Congrats on your continued success. May it never end.

Edie said...

Oh, I like the Happy Trails contest. Though I probably won't enter it sounds like fun.

I know this isn't considered literary and didn't have an unhappy ending, but I always thought that if I were Jo March in Little Women I would have married Laurie.

Maria Zannini said...

Well, there's no entry fee for that contest. What have you got to lose?

I often think the winners are usually the more off beat entries.

Think about it. Thanks for stopping by Edie.