https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Not Your Mama's Digital

I've been working on my website...

But STOP! Don’t go over there. The changes haven't been uploaded yet. Patience, Grasshopper.

My aim from the beginning was to make the blog for writers and the website for readers. I think I'm coming up with some good links and fun copy in order to make it reader friendly.

Since I have so much writer information, I'm thinking I might save a place for writing links too. There just isn't enough room on the blog to put all the links of interest to writers.

Sometimes I go to people's blogs and they have a list of links a mile long. I like finding new blogs, but I won't go through the effort of going down the list if it's that long. This is why I keep mine relatively short.

Anyway, back to the website. With any luck maybe I can upload the finished product by the weekend. I got some of my ideas from Mike Keyton who added a list of Liverpool links on his blog. This is what I was talking about when I mentioned targeting your audience.

Following Mike's example, I'll post links to places and people I think my readers will enjoy. I'm also going to put up a new page that will talk about the world of Touch Of Fire. I worked on that all last night, and I'm excited about it.

I know that future world by heart, but it occurred to me that my readers don't. They might glean some of that information from the book, but this might give them some context.

The one thing I'd like to do for my website is put in some add-ons, things like jokes and weather, etc, but I haven't quite figured out how to do that yet. I'm thinking the site needs to be supported by Flash or Java or some other fetish-sounding word.

Sadly, I am technically challenged, so I will have to find a smart person to walk me through the steps. Anybody want to volunteer? I see the code, but it just sits there looking all code-y.

I want more pictures on my site, but that takes time too because aside from hunting them down, I want to make sure they load quickly.

So stay tuned. I think you'll like the new and improved website.

***
Maya Reynolds has been talking about the publishing model in several excellent posts, and Nathan Bransford continued the dialog over at his blog. I normally don't read a lot of the comments, but the commentators on the Bransford post had some rather interesting thoughts on e-publishing.

Many of them echoed my sentiments. And several people reminded us about the old days. How we balked when floppy drives came on the scene, or when email debuted. I still remember vividly the huge argument I had with Greg when he insisted we go to cds rather than tapes and records. Blasphemy, I thought! I was a purist and cds were the devil's tool.

I freely admit, I entered the 21st century kicking and screaming. I do not evolve quietly.

Now we've passed cds in lieu of downloaded music playing off an ipod through the pristine sounding Bose system.

Digital is coming, guys. And it's going to stay until something else takes its place.

Someone on the Bransford site complained that equipment fails, but books have permanence. Umm, yeah, but what's your point? Record albums were more permanent too, but the quality is better on downloads, and it's certainly more convenient.

And Greg probably knows the answer to this, but I cannot tell you how many computers we've had since 1984. Ten? Twelve? Probably more. We replace them as new technology emerges. That's the way of things.

As I mentioned to Edie the other day when she commented on an earlier post here, Kindle is still too expensive for me. My price point is way lower than the average consumer, but then I'm cheap. (And proud of it!) I am perfectly content to wait a couple of years until the price comes down or the technology woofies goes up.

But I can see myself lounging on my couch and reading off a Kindle or a Mentor. All they have to do is make it more affordable for us frugal sort.

4 comments:

Josephine Damian said...

Maria: There are writer's online workshops on setting up websites/ tech stuff, plus colleges have classes (continuing ed and otherwise) on websites.

I'll be in that same boat myself next year, although I may just start saving dough for a webdesigner in the meanwhile.

Maria Zannini said...

Hi Josie,
How's the vacation?

I've taken two adult ed classes on websites, but I didn't hit it off with either teacher. They raced through stuff and got annoyed when people asked questions that they probably thought were beneath them.

I did have a friend teach me Dreamweaver though, but she's traveling a lot now so I don't want to bug her.

I might be doomed to trying to teach myself again. Hate when that happens. :o)

J.K. Coi said...

Enough teasing. I want to see the website!

Maria Zannini said...

LOL! It takes time. I can only work on it at night and I have a lot of links to put in and test.

I am really going to try to have most of it ready by this weekend.

My Passion Fruit page might not be finished, but I might get the rest of it ready for its closeup.

I'll make an announcement when it's up.