https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Fourth of July

I know I was supposed to have a Killer Campaign post up today, but I am 300 miles away from my regular computer and I forgot to pack my Word file on my jump drive.

Next week. Promise.

Today is the Fourth Of July. Every country in the world has a July 4th, but in the US, it's especially noteworthy. July 4th is Independence Day.

In 1776, a ragtag group of colonies broke away from Mother England. Angry over taxation, frustrated over poor representation, the colonists declared independence.

We've never looked back.

It would not be an exaggeration to note that the smart money would have said the US didn't have a chance. We were a fledgling country, fighting amongst ourselves, unable to come to terms on how we should govern.

There were still strong ties to England, even though they regarded us as peasants--and perhaps they still do. (grin)

We were and are a boisterous people, generally unafraid, and sporting an indomitable will as part of our normal makeup. It is what makes us American. It is what makes me proud and thankful for what we have here.

If you've not been to the US, I hope you get the chance one day. And if you have been to the US, be sure to come to Texas. It's my favorite state! :o)

Happy Fourth of July to all my American friends.

2 comments:

Tia Nevitt said...

I loved this.

Maria Zannini said...

:o)

Hope you had a great holiday, Tia!