https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Monday, August 11, 2008

Markets

My posts are going to be erratic for the next couple of weeks and then--if I move--I will go on hiatus while I get settled in my new digs (read: find internet service in the boonies).

Meanwhile I have one market to post and one suggestion.

Suggestion first.

You guys know I rarely grouse, but I have to say something about all these "cute" titles people come up with for their blogs and websites. It's up to you, but if you want people to know your name and your work, wouldn't it make sense to have a website/blog with your name on it?

You want people to find you in search engines, don't you?

As most of you know, I use a blog reader, and when I input a new blog, I always make sure I retitle it with the author's name despite what the author himself titles it. I like to know who I'm reading and I don't always remember if guided solely by a cryptic title.

If you're trying to remain anonymous because your blog is a little inflammatory, or if you have nothing of import published, then you're fine to leave it with an ambiguous title. But if you are trying to leave a footprint of you or your work for agents, editors and fans--use your author's name.

I thank you and your fans will thank you (which could be one in the same). :o)

So what about you, especially you bloggers with the enigmatic titles to your blogs? Why do you do it? I'm curious.

***

Markets:

This one has a tight deadline, but I thought it was an easy contest.

Our Past Loves Contest

Entry fee: None

Write a true story of a former sweetheart, in no more than 700 words. Nearly everyone has such a story. So tell us about your earlier love, someone whose memory brings a smile or a tear, or both. Did that woman or man change your life? How did that experience affect the rest of your life? Your story may be heart-warming or humorous. Just tell it as if you were talking to a good friend.

First Prize: $100
Second Prize: $75
Third Prize: $50

All winners and Honorable Mentions will receive a copy of If Only I Could Tell You: Where Past Loves and Current Intimacy Meet, by Kate Harper and Leon Marasco. Winners will have their stories posted (anonymously, if requested by author) on the web site.

Deadline August 17, 2008.

13 comments:

Kaz Augustin said...

I suppose I'm trying to have it both ways! :) My blog is in my name (blog.ksaugustin.com), but the blog title isn't (Fusion Despatches). That was because "KS Augustin" on top of my blog, when it's already on my website, is sooooo boring.

However, if you're talking about Jo Bloggs who has a blog called sequinsonunicorns.blogspot.com, then I totally agree. (That name isn't taken, btw. Don't know why!)

Marianne Arkins said...

My problem was that I started my blog long before I had anything published...

Wish I could go back and change things.

Maria Zannini said...

Hi Kaz!

>>sequinsonunicorns.blogspot.com
(That name isn't taken, btw. Don't know why!)

LOL. It probably is now.

When I started my blog, I called it Maria Zannini, and added a subtitle on the header: Topical Heat.

But so often people would call it Tropical Heat, so I finally deleted it and stuck to my name alone.

My name might look boring on the header, but I think it's more practical.

Maria Zannini said...

Hi Marianne!

I didn't really understand search engines when I started, but I thought I'd play it safe and use my name.

I wonder if you can add your name within the headline. Search engines should pick up the first few words its bots find on a blog.

If the words are your name, it could be enough to get you listed more often.

J.K. Coi said...

Oh, you CAN go back and change your name. In blogger anyway. Not sure about some of the others. If you go under "settings", right there at the top is the Title, which can be changed. Then, you can either keep the same web address, or go into "publishing" and cahnge the Blogspot address as well.

I know this because when I started my blog in 2005 it wasn't a completely writing focused blog either, but when I came up with my brand and tagline, I wanted to change it...so I did.

Maria Zannini said...

Thank you, JK! That's great news. I wonder if the other blogs will do that.

MaryF said...

Like Marianne, I had nothing published at the time, didn't even know what my pen name would be. And I never thought I'd fall in love with blogging like I have!

Heck, my ID on eHarlequin is Elf Mary because I joined at Christmas. I never thought I'd stick around!

Maria Zannini said...

Creating a pseduonym is the one thing I regret not doing. I might add an alter-ego if I should write erotica, but for now my regular old name will have to do.

See JK's suggestion for Blogger though. It's not too late to regain your identity.

MaryF said...

Hmmm....something to consider. My blog isn't all that writing focused, though....

Heather B. Moore said...

I have some friends who have blogs, but I haven't been able to find them using normal searches. So yeah, it is helpful to have your name tied to the blog. Except with my blogs that's not the case. Maybe because I have a website that is my name, but I never really thought about it in this way. Thanks!

Maria Zannini said...

I think the exception to the rule are group blogs where you need one identifying title.

The other exception is if you are a really well known blogger whose blog moniker is as well known as the author's name. John Scalzi's "Whatever" blog comes to mind as an example.

terrio said...

*raises hand as one with cutesie blog title*

Since I have nothing pubbed and am no where near submitting or querying, I figure I'm good. And when I created my online persona of terrio, I had no idea I'd ever be into this publishing thing. Now even when I go to booksignings, authors make the books out to terrio. Think I could write under that alone? LOL!

Didn't think so. At least it's close to the real name and I'll change it when the time comes.

Maria Zannini said...

>>Think I could write under that alone? LOL!

Oh, I don't know. I think terrio is kinda catchy and unique. If I caught someone else using that name, I'd have to ping them for plagiarizing you. :o)