https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Friday, September 26, 2008

Killer Campaigns: Book Signings

I have not done a live book signing, so I've corraled a posse of my writing buds to help with their vast experience. Not only will I give you some of the best suggestions they sent me, TODAY each of them will have a post on how to do a successful book signing.

Today's Killer Campaign is about Book Signings and I've gathered a wealth of experience in one place.

Whether you have a book out or not, I want you to read each of these posts carefully. There's information in each of them that will help you make your first book signing successful and fun.

The people I've asked to participate in this special edition of Killer Campaigns come from all different backgrounds, different genres and different personalities.

Everyone takes to book signing differently and I think you'll be able to see that by reading each author's post. There is no one size fits all, but you'll discover every single person has brought a unique insight that will help you not only in book signings but for every time you have to interact with the public--which will be more often than you think.

Here are some of my favorite suggestions that each author sent me. Follow the links to read the rest of their posts on the subject.

Maya Reynolds, author of BAD GIRL: The most important thing, I think, is to OWN THE STORE. I treated the place as though it were Wal-Mart and I was the greeter. I spent as much time as I could on my feet. WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES. I stood beside my table and welcomed everyone who came through the door. I asked if I could help them. If they had a child, I asked if the child could have a piece of candy from my bowl. I had deliberately filled the bowl with different kinds of candy. When kids are confronted with a variety of candy, they hesitate, wanting to make the best decision. It gives you a chance to chat with the parents. Yes, I admit it. I am completely without shame, but let's face it. You knew that already.

Maya had several posts on the subject, so I am sending you to all three.
Post 1
Post 2
Post 3

JK Coi, author of IMMORTAL KISS: Sign up for BookTour.com. You can create an author page with them that has links to revews, interviews, your website and blog, and more importantly, you can enter all of your upcoming events (even online or "virtual" events like guest blogs). The idea is that BookTour.com lets its reader members know which authors will be in their area for booksignings, and hopefully this can draw a few curious people into the store when you're having your book signing.

Joshua Palmatier, author of THE VACANT THRONE: What I’ve discovered over the course of all of my signings and visits to bookstores and stock signings is that there’s really only one thing that sells your book in the end: YOU. So the best advice that I can give is: Be yourself.

What draws the people to the signing table at the bookstore is you.

Allie Boniface, author of ONE NIGHT IN MEMPHIS: Find out whether the bookstore can order your books, or whether you will have to carry them in yourself. Sometimes if you’re published with a small press, stores won’t be able to order them from your distributor. Make sure you know this ahead of time.

Heather Moore, author of OUT OF JERUSALEM series: ...store employees—it’s what a booksigning is all about. Surprised? Your job as an author is to get to know the employees, find out what they like to read. In essence, ask THEM questions. This makes them your new friend, and you can bet that the next day when they’re working a long shift, they’ll be recommending you left and right. Even if they haven’t read your book yet.



Want to get a whole book with this information for $2.99?

Find it on Amazon.
 


6 comments:

Diane Craver said...

Terrific post about what to expect at bookstores when doing signings. Thank you!

Maria Zannini said...

Glad you found it useful, Diane!

J.K. Coi said...

Great idea for a post, Maria! Have a good weekend and keep resting those eyes.

Maria Zannini said...

You were actually the inspiration for the roundup, JK. Thank you!!

Shelley Munro said...

Maria - great post with some very good tips. Have a wonderful weekend.

Maria Zannini said...

Thanks, Shelley. You too!