https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Monday, December 29, 2008

A Fallow Year

This blog is still on holiday, which means I'm talking about whatever pops into my head. Scary, I know. We'll get back to regular programming in the new year.

***

The end of the year always brings me full circle both on what I've accomplished and what has yet to be done.

Sad to say, 2008 was a bust. A rare occurence for me. A lot of it was beyond my control but it doesn't make it any easier to bear. The endless cycle of eye surgeries REALLY sucked all the wind out of my sails. My lowest point was when the second surgery took me in the opposite direction and made my vision worse.

Not only was I despondent, I was scared.

Fortunately, everything finally worked out. My reading vision is better than it's ever been. But it kept me out of commission for weeks and sometimes months at a time. What reading and writing I could do was limited. And it cost me.

A whole year underground with little to do but blog occasionally and edit a couple of newsletters. Anything more extensive sent me to bed with an ice pack over my eyes.

It's not been my best year.

But handicaps have a way of making you stronger too. I listened more and pondered what was really important for me. It's not always what you think it is.

I have a feeling 2009 is going to be a year of motivation and change for me. I've rested enough. Put me in, coach. I've polished this bench smooth.

***

I-Needa-Name-Contest is still going on. Go here for more details.

4 comments:

J.K. Coi said...

You have my sympathies on your 2008, Maria. I'm sure that 2009 will be much better for you.

Are you working on a book for 2009? Will you be digging in at the day job?

My 2009 will be different than this year. This year was frenzied, a whirlwind as I tried to get used to this writing/publishing/marketing thing that took over my life. I'm hoping that I can find a better balance in 2009.

Maria Zannini said...

Thanks JK. My philosophy is that things happen for a reason. I don't get angry at setbacks as much as I try to learn from them.

Books! Yes. I have two in the oven, one of which is half baked (grin) and have to cook some more before subbing it to my editor.

You did have a whirlwind year, JK. I thought you did a marvelous job.

A toast to you for a great 2009.

Mike Keyton said...

"...I've rested enough. Put me in coach. I've polished this bench smooth."

Maria in fighting mode. Scary

Maria Zannini said...

LOL! If people only knew how small and unthreatening I appear in real life.

That's what makes it scary.