https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Monday, December 8, 2008

Markets

Win up to £150.00 in the Jacqui Bennett Writers Bureau short story competition. Make real money from your writing.

Go to their website and study the three photos, and then write a story based (as loosely as you like) around one. Let your imagination run riot - the images alone should inspire you. Remember to state which photo your story is based upon when you submit it (you can get a larger version to print out or save on your computer by clicking on the smaller ones).

First Prize: £150 - Second Prize: £50 - Third Prize: £25

You can submit a story in any genre - humorous, romantic, thriller, horror etc. - and on any theme. It can be written with either adults or children in mind. You could try a short story with a twist in the tail, a spooky ghost story, or something entirely different - it's up to you. Alternatively, you may submit the opening pages of a novel.

1) All work must be unpublished and should not have been previously submitted to JBWB for critique.

2) Length: 2,500 words maximum (submissions exceeding this length will be disqualified).

3) Closing Date: 31 December 2008.

4) Entry Fee: £4 per entry.

5) Entries should be sent as an email attachment (or in the body of the email itself) to: competitions@jbwb.co.uk. Please confirm in your email that the entry fee is on its way or that you have paid by credit card.

Alternatively, send hard copy of your story, plus entry fee, to: 87 Home Orchard, Yate, South Gloucestershire BS37 5XH England. Please note that feedback is not available on hard copy entries, only on entries emailed as a Microsoft Word attachment.

6) The winners and runners-up will be announced by the end of January 2009 and will receive the appropriate prize money. The winning entries will be published on the JBWB website.

Further runners-up prizes may be awarded at my discretion. Good luck!

***


This one is a little 'different'. --I don't make these up. I just report them.


She Nailed the Stake Through His Head: Tales of Biblical Terror

Seeking short stories for the Dybbuk Press anthology She Nailed the Stake Through His Head: Tales of Biblical Terror (working title).

What I'm looking for:
Short stories primarily, ideally between 1000 - 12000 words. All stories must be based in some way on Biblical stories. Actually have a familiarity with the Bible. I may consider poems if they are particularly good but I hate 99% of all poems I read. This is primarily a horror anthology so the creepier the better. In many of these stories, you really don't have to work too hard to make them horrific.

What I'm NOT looking for:
Normally this is the place where I say that I don't want any vampires, werewolves or ghosts but if you can stick a vampire into a King David story or put zombies in Ancient Assyria then I actually want to see it.

Format: Attach as either a .doc or an .rtf. DO NOT send .docx attachments. All .docx attachments will be deleted unread.Pay: $50 advance against equal share of royalties to be paid out no later than publication.

Reading Period: December 1 - December 31, 2008. All stories submitted before December 1 will be deleted unread! And yes, I do mean BEFORE December 1. I might extend the deadline for after December 31 if I don't find enough stories to fill an anthology (I'm shooting for between 8 and 12. I can go as low as 7.) I'm putting out the call for stories now because I want interested parties to write their stories and revise them before submitting them. I don't want trunk stories with cover letters trying to explain why your vampire is a Christ figure.

For more information and where to email submissions, go to the blog.

0 comments: