https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Twitter-ed

Twitter

I have done the unthinkable. I have signed up with Twitter.

So far, I am following the only two people I know. I am trying to remember who all has mentioned they're on Twitter. Every name I've inputted (but the two I'm following) does not exist in their database.

I don't know if I'll like Twitter. And more importantly, I don't know if I'm in over my head, but I'll give it a shot.

If you're on Twitter and would like to follow me, I can promise you two things:

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
• It'll probably be funny watching my brain explode in real time.

***

Facebook

I was going to join Facebook, but I read their terms of service and it said this:

By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing. You may remove your User Content from the Site at any time. If you choose to remove your User Content, the license granted above will automatically expire, however you acknowledge that the Company may retain archived copies of your User Content. Facebook does not assert any ownership over your User Content; rather, as between us and you, subject to the rights granted to us in these Terms, you retain full ownership of all of your User Content and any intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights associated with your User Content.

They say they don't own your property, but it also says they can use, copy, etc even after you remove the content from their site. To me, that sounds like they still want to lay hands on it.

I think I'll pass for now. I want to join Facebook, but I don't want them playing footsies with my stuff.

Does anyone have any advice? Am I worrying about Facebook's ToS needlessly?

***

A second blog?

I am seriously considering spinning off my frugal blog posts into its own blog. The idea is still in the percolating stages, but I think there might be some substance to it. Right now it's a matter of: do I have enough time to devote to a second regular blog?

The audience for the frugal living blog is limited in this location. I can probably get a lot more readers if I place it with other blogs of its ilk.

I'd like to focus on money saving tips and country living stories. We'll see. It has a lot of potential and the idea is attractive to me.

11 comments:

Kaz Augustin said...

I'm leery enough of Facebook without even spending time reading their Ts&Cs. I think they're intrusive, with huge potential for misuse, AND they're actively investigating ways of datamining their members' data in order to make money. Even though Broad Universe has decided to create a Broads group on Facebook, I -- for one -- ain't joining.

(The obvious geek objection is, why single out Facebook when Google is just as bad? Well, I don't use Google Docs or any of their so-called Web 2.0 apps either. Only Gmail. And only for the more trivial stuff. Who me, paranoid?)

Maria Zannini said...

LOL!

I swear we must have been sisters in a different life.

A lot of my friends are on Facebook and I would love to mix with them, but after that recent fiasco with Facebook, I am leery.

Sometimes I think technology has ripped away all our innocence--and with it, our trust.

Mike Keyton said...

Twitter is for bird-life. Mind you, I'm sure you'd be an eagle :)

Mike Keyton said...

Hey Maria,
I think you might like this. Hitler on Tweet. You've probably seen 'Downfall' - if you haven't you should, but they exploit it beautifully.


http://chrispaul-labouroflove.blogspot.com/2009/02/twitter-will-eat-itself-hitlers-tweets.html

Maria Zannini said...

omg! That was hilarious!

Shelley Munro said...

Maria - I have a Facebook page but really don't do much with it. All the applications etc take up so much time. I'd rather write.

I know a lot of people use Twitter. I've been resisting and I've decided to use the time writing. I spend enough time online as it is.

Maria Zannini said...

Thanks for an insider's look at Facebook, Shelley. I think I'll pass on them. I have enough things gobbling up my time as it is.

Josephine Damian said...

1. Twitter is the #1 hot, happening social networking site (and why aren't following me? www.twitter.com/josephinedamian)

Think of it as the biggest most interesting chat room and you'll get it. Writers who do nothing but BSP are big turn-offs - it's about chatting and being interesting which makes people want to know more about you and then read your book.

2. Facebook reconsidered their tos and have completely backed off on owning content. MySpace is passe and FB is where it's at now. I'm there, of course!

3. Definitely a different blog for the frugal stuff but link it through this email acct. so both your blogs are listed on your profile pasge - get lots of cross hits.

Maria Zannini said...

Found you, Jo. Thanks for the head's up.

Can't say I'll be able to keep up though. Too many voices out there. I'm trying to filter all but the most relevant.

Marianne Arkins said...

Gah... I'm so tempted to Twitter...

Facebook DID redo their terms after what you noted hit the fan. I don't post anything I wouldn't want used, anyway, just cuz I figure the internet is sort of just license to steal, lol.

Separate blog for frugal stuff? Yeah.. do that. And I can come guest now and then when I have a stellar idea HAHAHA!

Happy Monday.

Maria Zannini said...

Here's my take on Twitter so far. I don't follow many people so I'm not inundated with messages. There are a lot of people I would like to follow, but I don't want to spend all day reading, so now I am being very careful on who I follow.

If anyone out there is on Twitter, it's not that I don't love you, but I have to set limits somewhere. Otherwise I'll never get the next book finished.

Guest blog: Well, you just got wrangled into guest blogging, woman. LOL! I think I will spin the blog off, but I might wait until April when things calm down around here.