https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Markets

An inspirational market

White Rose Publishing

We only publish ROMANCE. Although we take all romance sub-genre, every story must have romance as a strong element and in ALL lengths. This includes short stories.

As in every romance, the focus of a White Rose story should be the conflict between the main characters. These stories encompass protagonists who may, or may not, be spiritual at the onset, but come to realize that faith is a cornerstone of love. Protagonists should possess layered, three-dimensional, personalities. They should be people who struggle with decisions on a regular basis, using their existent or burgeoning faith to augment their growth both, together, and as Christians. Remember, Christians are emboldened by their faith, not burdened by it. Protagonists' backgrounds do not have to be exemplary, but in the current story line, protagonists must have already come to terms with those issues which do not live up to Christian morality and virtue; their past immorality should not be overtly displayed on the page, but should be the catalyst for their internal conflict and growth.

***

Allen and Unwin Publishing

I recently cyber-met Deborah Kalin (author of SHADOW QUEEN) and she told me the story on how she earned a publishing contract with Allen & Unwin.

They seem particularly proactive for new work and even more exciting, they are from New Zealand! Each Friday, they have what's called The Friday Pitch. You can pitch them any novel (see guidelines) on Friday only and they promise to get back with you within a week. I love that part!

If you are on that side of the globe, I urge you to check them out. Even if you're not in the same hemisphere, what have you got to lose?

6 comments:

Diane Craver said...

I submitted to White Rose and the editor rejected it after reading my partial. I was crushed - I really wanted to be a WRP author. She said it didn't have enough romance which surprised me. I wrote it for the inspirational romance line.

Great post, Maria!

Shelley Munro said...

I haven't heard of Allen and Unwin, and I'm from NZ. I'll have to check them out.

Maria Zannini said...

Diane, by all means, try again. It could be you could the editor at the wrong time, or maybe with the wrong premise. With your credentials, it's probably only a matter of personal preference.

Maria Zannini said...

Heck, yes, Shelley! I was thinking of you when I added that one. They seem to answer very quickly too. Check out Deborah Kalin's blog/website. I think she explains her call story there.

Heather B. Moore said...

Thanks for posting this. Great info to pass along.

Diane, I agree with Maria. Editors have their own tastes, so maybe you'll find one who has a different opinion!

Diane Craver said...

Thanks, Maria & Heather!

I did submit it to other publishers after the White Rose editor rejected it so will keep you posted.