https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Computer Woes

I think I need a new computer.

Much like a bad tooth, I've been avoiding confronting the inevitable. I've held on to it for far longer than I should have only because I HATE having to reload all my software.

I have a lot of software. Much of it is graphics related with version after version layered on top of the other. I don't even know if I have the original software codes for some of these programs.

Greg was going to try to add more RAM but all my memory slots are full. I'm going to go through my programs and see if there's anything I can get rid of in the hopes that it might buy me a little time.

I realize it's futile...

Any ideas out there? Is there any brand of computer you recommend? I am looking for a desktop model. Preferably without VISTA. Though I will admit Greg has never had any trouble with VISTA on his computer.

***because of unconscionable spammers, I have to once again put comments on moderation. Sorry guys. These spammers have no social redeeming value.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey, check out Maya Reynolds on Radio Free Bliss. This is a podcast that Kaz Augustin runs. Check it out! She sounds terrific!

PS ...and Maya is going to be on this blog tomorrow.

11 comments:

catie said...

I've always thought one could never go wrong with a Mac... :)

Mike Keyton said...

I agree, Macs look sexy, but my Dell Dimension 5000 is still going strong. As workhorses go...And it has XP - presumably with Dell you can specify what operating system you want.

One question - how does moderation work in terms of stopping spammers. Is that how I'm getting them via unmoderated comments? I don't understand that one.

Maria Zannini said...

I started out with a Mac, which any self respecting artist would have. Mac used to be the leader in graphics programs, but now it doesn't matter much. Windows based programs are par with Mac (imo).

But we switched to Windows long ago so that hubby's files and mine were compatible. That's no longer an issue but that's why we chose one platform.

Mike: Moderation means I have to approve messages before they go live. I had one spammer hit several old posts and I deleted them after the fact.

Once they know you're on to them they move on to other blogs, but there's always someone else to take his place. It's shameless.

Sandra said...

Maria, maybe you can switch out your current memory for something bigger, such as going from 256 MG to 1 G. That would improve performance of your current computer.

Maria Zannini said...

That's a good option. I think Greg keeps pulling for a new pc because I've had mine for so long.

He thinks I'm asking for trouble in the long run.

I will look into pricing the memory cards though. Thanks, Sandra!

Diane Craver said...

I understand about you NOT wanting Vista. When I bought my laptop two years ago, I looked until I found a new one with Windows XP on it.

Good luck - I don't know what kind to tell you.

Shelley Munro said...

Have you thought about an external removable hard drive? Would that work? I have one I use for backing up. It has a huge memory - a tetra something or other.

I hear you about the SPAM. Someone hit my blog today. :(

Maria Zannini said...

Hi Diane!
I don't understand how some pcs can have VISTA problems and others don't. We always had trouble with that operating system at work, yet Greg has never had a moment's gief with it.

We did a little window shopping and I have not found any non-VISTA machines. I will keep looking though.

Maria Zannini said...

Hey Shelley!
You know I have a backup (which I have yet to hook up since moving)

I'll see if I can connect it so I can draw from that hard drive.

Thanks.

Sarita Leone said...

I'm sorry, but I don't have any advice. I'm taking notes, though, because I figure sooner or later I'll have to deal with this very same issue.

Hope your woes come to an end soon!

Maria Zannini said...

Hi Sarita!

LOL! Misery loves company. Changing the memory and using the backup HD sound like good options.

Good luck!