https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Links-A-Lot

I wasn't planning on posting today, but there were so many good posts recently, I wanted to pass them on.

My friend Rochita Loenen-Ruiz is at Clarion West as we speak and she is documenting her day by day journey. Rochita is a terrific writer and her diary proves it.

Now that my time is my own, I want so very badly to attend a writer's workshop, but I can't justify the expense. I will have to live vicariously through Rochita.

She also wrote an article for Fantasy Magazine called "In Anticipation of Clarion West" which also beautifully details the steps and sacrifices involved in making the decision to go to this workshop.

Thanks to Marshall Payne for bringing the article to my attention.

***

Marianne Arkins succumbed to meme-itis and took the 100 Things meme. Go over and see how you do. I ticked off the number of things I've done on the list and came up with 72 out of 100. I don't know if that's bad or good, but of all the things on that list, I can promise you I will NEVER go bungee jumping.

***

On a more serious note, unless you've had the internet off for a while, you probably heard about the brouhaha over at RWA.

RWA offers the most phenomenal workshops, and has been a powerhouse in providing information, but the organization has proven itself discriminatory to e-published authors. When Deidre Knight pointed out their shortcomings, Diane Pershing fired back a letter in response "explaining" why RWA will not recognize ebook authors within their sub group PAN (for published authors) or be eligible to participate in the highly acclaimed RITA contest.

Ms Pershing not only came up with a weak and implausible rebuttal, but she further inflamed members by attacking Ms Knight personally, including using information that came out of personal correspondence. RWA's criteria for a professional sale is not only elitist and insulting, it is antiquated. Is RWA paying attention to the contracts print publishers are offering their authors lately? At least I get paid upfront.

RWA boasts 10,000 members. I have a feeling it is going to be quite short that number from here on out unless they change their ways.

For more information, read the article that started this all by Deidre Knight and Diane Pershing's rebuttal.

Aztec Lady also does an extraordinary job of pulling together various links on the subject and asking the right questions.

And Dear Author has an excellent post on the pros and cons of print and digital. I strongly recommend this article.

***

Because I don't want to end on a bitter note, let me also direct you to Jessa Slade who learned how to train her writing muse by watching the Dog Whisperer. (Dog lovers will understand perfectly!)


Copyright © 2009 Maria Zannini -- http://mariazannini.blogspot.com/.

2 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

72 things? I'm impressed! And, I won't go bungee jumping either. *G*

Ah, yes, the RWA bruhaha. I've been trying to follow, but HOLY SMOKES there are a lot of comments. I joined RWAChange Yahoo and had to go to special notice and read online because I was getting dozens of digests every day.

Ms. Pershing has... um... upset a few people.

I keep meaning to do a post like this but haven't. Shame on me. There's so much cool stuff out there!

Happy Sunday :-)

Maria Zannini said...

Ref: 72 things.

I think I only got to 72 cuz I'm older than you. *g* With any luck I'll get all 99 before I kick the bucket. I'm leaving out the bungee jumping.

Ref: RWA
I tried to follow along all day Saturday, but I finally gave up when the comments started sounding alike.

I'm not really surprised by Pershing's response, only surprised that she bothered to make one. It was a waste of cyber space.