https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Markets

This post was written Sunday and should go live Monday morning. This week, the plan is to set up the new computer and not have a stroke while doing that. To be honest, I would rather do my taxes with a broken pencil than set up a computer. I have terrible luck with electronics and let's not even discuss moving software.

So...if you don't hear from me in the next few days, that'll be why.

***

Electric Velocipede is once again open for submissions.

Stories up to 10,000 words. Published stories tend to be 2,000 to 5,000 words, but longer is fine. If your story is considerably longer than 10,000 words (i.e., 15,000 words), please query me first.

I want to see something different. I want to see something unusual. I want to see stories that are a little weird. If you've read the zine, you know what that means. If you recognize the names of the people in the zine, you'll probably have an idea of what I want. Science fiction is fine; I just don't care for hardcore nuts and bolts. Fantasy is fine; I'm just not all that comfortable with elves, dwarves, unicorns, etc. Cross-genre is more than fine, and weird is just about perfect. I am not actively looking for horror.

Despite the zine's name, it's certainly not a requirement to write steampunk to be considered, but you will catch my ear if you do. I like stories that have something hidden in them; it can be a character with a secret, things that aren't what they seem, or places that exist where they shouldn't.

Our submissions form asks for your name, email address, cover letter, story title, and story. Your cover letter should contain the length of your story, your publishing history and any other relevant information (e.g, if you send us a lusty pirate story and happen to BE a lusty pirate, mention that). All stories should be in standard manuscript format and can be submitted in either .RTF or .DOC format. No simultaneous submissions.

Payment: 1 cent per word.

Please go to link for more info.

***

Christmas Story Contest from LDS Publisher

Deadline is coming up fast! August 15, 2009

• Write a short Christmas story in any genre. Stories should be positive and family friendly. I reserve the right to refuse any story I deem inappropriate for this blog/book.

• Maximum word count: 2,000; no minimum.

• Story must be previously unpublished. Stories published anywhere other than your personal website or blog are ineligible. (That includes books, magazines, e-zines or other contests.)
Stories submitted for previous years' contests are also ineligible for this contest. (But may be selected for publication in the book.)

• Paste entire story into an e-mail. NO ATTACHMENTS, please.—Put "Contest: Title of Story" in the subject line of your e-mail. (Example: Contest: A Christmas Gift for Mary)

Please go to link for more info.

0 comments: