https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

When Do You Wear Your PR Hat?

During my radio interview on Radio Free Bliss, KS Augustin asked me how much time I dedicated to the business of promotion.

First, you have to understand that I look at promotion in a very broad sense. Promotion might entail contacting individuals for reviews, interviews or guest blogging. Blogging on my own blog is a major source of promotion for me. Working on my website, upgrading my banner, planning my advertising budget, or designing a new email signature also falls under promotion.

I was a little haphazard with my time management in the beginning, due in no small part by being overwhelmed by the sheer enormity of what goes into promotion, but now that I have a solid year under my belt, I've learned to compartmentalize it like I do most of my other projects.

Nowadays, I do most of my promotional planning and designing on Sundays. It works for me because Sundays are usually the quietest days on the net, at home, and I am usually alone 3 out of 4 Sundays a month.

So this post, like most of the posts for the week are written on Sundays. I get a great deal of information through blog reading, so I try to get caught up by Sunday. I deliberately leave posts that require more thorough contemplation for the quieter and less harried hours of Sunday.

I find it's easier for me to do things in chunks of similar tasks. Promotion uses a different set of mental muscles than creative writing. It requires reasoning, attention to timetables and the precision of an office worker sussing out a tricky monthly report.

This is the day I check old emails for people I've missed throughout the week. It's the day I examine my calendar for upcoming events, such as workshops, conferences or readings.

Putting your promotional hat one day a week might not work for everyone. If you have kids or a full time job, you might have to catch what few minutes you can here or there. But it works for me and my situation.

I'm a bit obsessive compulsive, so putting things in one basket for one solid day of work is ideal for my personality.

Lest you think it's all work and no play for Maria, I rarely spend more than four hours total on blog writing, assessing, contacting peers, or creating promotional tasks. Plenty of time to pet the dogs and walk in the woods.

How do you plan your promotional projects? Do you fit it in where you can or do you like to dedicate a set time for it?

2 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

Promo can be such a time suck. I think it's a great idea to do a day like you do. I try to do at least one promo thing every day. Today I attended a chat. I don't count my blog since my posts are usually fairly short,

It's definitely important to have time to pet the dog(s) and go for a walk. :)

Maria Zannini said...

The dogs thinks so too. LOL.

I used to do one promo thing a day, but some days are too jam packed. So far this has worked out better.