Homestead Wish List

Note: Argh...My last two posts posted on the same day. ---sorry.

The chickens are a done deal. As soon as their coop and pen is finished I can start looking for chicks. I plan to buy locally so I can visit breeders directly.

The goats are still a pipe dream. Our property is fenced with typical barbed wire. The plan was to replace it with chain link but it turns out six acres of chain link is inhumanely expensive--even if we did it ourselves, which we planned to do.

So the next option is welded wire. There's someone a couple of miles from us who keeps gazelle and other hooved animals and he has what looks like 8 foot tall welded wire game fence. Six foot would be plenty for us. Goats are good jumpers, but I don't expect any pole vaulters among them.

Despite my wish for goats by 2010, I'd like to put it off until we build Greg's shop. This property didn't come with a shop so it was a given that one had to be built.

Most handy-spouses have a secret wish for a shop, but in Greg's case, it's non-negotiable. His current shop at Zannini South is 40 x 50, bigger than the average home, and it is chocked full from floor to loft with equipment and supplies.

I never deny Greg any tool he asks for. He builds me things and he fixes things. He's built everything from buildings to cabinetry, not to mention he's saved our bacon plenty of times with home repair, so if he tells me he needs something, I write the check.

Once the shop and fence are up, the goats can move in. I do have one super-secret wish. Something I have absolutely no use for but would love to have on our place. Many ranchers in our area keep either Great Pyrenees dogs or donkeys to protect their flocks of sheep, cattle or goats.

I would love to have one of these...

A little burro.

Greg is afraid I'll bring this little guy inside in inclement weather.

Who me?

*grin*

Maybe I can talk him into it slowly. I have plenty of time until the shop and fence are up.

Wish me luck.

Do you have a secret wish for something in 2010?



*
*
*
*

Comments

Marianne Arkins said…
I want chickens. My DH swears I can have them once we move out west...

Our goats never even tried to escape their enclosure, I guess they were perfectly content. I want goats again, but DH wants a cow. Goats are SO much easier.
Dru said…
Can I come visit your farm?

My secret wish is to move down south into a mother/daughter house. They don't build those types of homes anymore.
Maria Zannini said…
Marianne: I seriously considered cows, but Greg felt it was too big an animal for us to butcher on our own.

Most people carry their animals to a small slaughterhouse, but the thing is, you don't *know* for certain that the beef you brought in will be the beef that comes out in packages.

We're very careful about what we feed our animals--both for their sakes and ours. We want to be sure the beef we raised comes back to us.

Also, you are limited to the number of cows you can have depending on how good your pasture. Around here, it's about one cow per acre of pasture. More than that and you'll have to bring in additional feed.

Ref: Goats are new to us, so it will be an adventure. Most people tell us the same thing, their goats never leave. But my reason for wanting a 6 foot fence is more to keep other animals out--the 4-footed as well as the 2--footed kind. (there are feral hogs in the area and I still worry I'll meet one in the dark.) LOL.
Maria Zannini said…
Hi Dru:

Ref: Can I come visit your farm?
You betcha!

Ref: mother/daughter house
I have never heard of that. What does a mother/daughter house look like?
Shelley Munro said…
I'd like alpacas. So cute. And when my father isn't looking I might steal his latest foal. The little fellow (nameless as yet) is just too cute.

I look forward to hearing about your chickens. Hubby and I would like chickens one day. Donkeys are the cutest thing too. They have a couple at the Farmers' Market every weekend for children's ride. I always go and say hello. :)
Maria Zannini said…
I met my first alpaca in the flesh a couple of weeks ago. So soft.
Maripat said…
I never realized that about the donkey. That's neat.

And I do hope you get your goats in 2010. It sounds like you have great farm starting up there.
Maria Zannini said…
Hi Maripat!

I am trying to get the farm 'operational' by the time Greg decides to live with me permanently.