https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Monday, January 4, 2010

2010 Itinerary

I spent the weekend doing a last minute polish on one novel and then made serious headway on Touch Of Fire's sequel.

I've been thinking, too about blog post topics for this year. Prudent Penny will be back and I might add a few more marketing articles too, only because it's a subject close to my heart. Now that I've had the experience of a couple of years behind me, I've reached a few conclusions on the best promotion tactics for new and not-as-well-known authors.

What I've learned actually surprised me, but I feel strongly enough about it that I am willing to take my own advice, so we'll discuss some of those things this year.

I've already been asked to guest blog in February, so I must think of something clever for that one. If you are looking for a guest blogger in 2010, feel free to contact me. I'm always interested in making appearances. (And I promise no sales pitches either!)

Homesteading articles will continue too, more as a working diary for me than anything else. Sometimes, when I'm not sure how or when something happened, I do a search on my blog, knowing I had recorded the event here. Very helpful.

I feel a little more organized this year, probably because that horrid year of house searching, buying and moving is over, so I'm anxious to plan a real writer's schedule for 2010--including some mongo-size writing time. My goal is to finish the book I'm on now and start a new one. I normally like to plan at least three months ahead with plenty of free blocks of time for things that come up all of a sudden.

This year, since I don't have a book coming out (that I know of) I'd like to concentrate on building my author brand and plot my projects to that end.

Are you a planner? How far ahead do you plan your schedule?

15 comments:

Dru said...

I'm definitely a planner.

How far ahead I plan depends on the activity. I know I'm taking a trip in the summer, so I'm saving funds and looking at places to go and things to do.

Good luck with all your endeavors.

Have a great Monday.

Maria Zannini said...

I wish I could plan for trips. Unfortunately, I am married to a spur-of-the-moment, let's-get-out-of-town husband.

I like to plan these things, to research costs for lodging, travel and sightseeing.

Where are you going this summer, Dru?

Sherri said...

The only thing I plan with any regularity are meals, LOL, every Wed. night or Th. morning for the week coming up. I am attempting to come up with some kind of blog schedule though I doubt I'll plan more than a month at a time with that. Started something new today with a post about coupons and hope to do that once a month.

We're hoping to head over to Anaheim for the All Star Game/Home Run Hitting in July. So I'll be saving for that in hopes that hubby will be able to get time off work.

With 4 boys, I tend to fly by the seat of my pants, LOL.

Sherri said...

BTW glad to hear you're working on the sequel!! I'm sure hubby will be too.

Maria Zannini said...

Sherri: I think it's great that you plan meals. I'd like to be able to do that.

I'll plan freezable meals, but living alone most of the time, I don't do much in the way of weekly meals for myself.

Ref: sequel
I hope it will be worth the wait. :o)

Jennifer Shirk said...

I'm a planner too. :)

I have tight goals for the week/month and loose goals for the year.

Shelley Munro said...

When it comes to my writing I don't have a formal plan. It's all in my head and it's flexible. My holidays - now that's another story. The planning and looking forward to a holiday is part of the fun.

I'll email you a bit later in the year about doing a guest spot at my blog. After my holiday. :)

Mike Keyton said...

Glad to see you're back in the writing saddle, Maria

Maria Zannini said...

Jennifer: This is the way I plan too. If only the husband would cooperate. *g*

Maria Zannini said...

Shelley: Enjoy the holiday. There are not enough of them in the year.

Write me whenever you get back and we'll hatch a plan for a guest spot.

Maria Zannini said...

Mike:
Ref: back in the writing saddle,

owww...don't use the word, saddle.

I wish I could sit in one place again. Having to start and stop every fifteen minutes is so disruptive to my natural rhythm.

Mike Keyton said...

Noel Cowerd dressing gown, cigarette in holder, creative pacing across an oaken floor and a nubile(presumably male) secretary taking down your every thought.
What's the problem?

Maria Zannini said...

LOL. Yeah, well, if you can help me convince Greg about the nubile, MALE secretary, it might work.

No cigarettes though. A bubble pipe, maybe.

Marianne Arkins said...

I'm a little of both, actually.

And -- if you would like to guest blog with me, let's do. I'm still trying to work out what my guest blogging plan is for this year. I want to do something different :-)

Maria Zannini said...

I always love visiting your blog, Marianne. We'll put our heads together and see what topic you'd like to see on your blog.

Thanks!