https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Combat-Ready

I forgot to mention...the very awesome CJ Cherryh did an interview for the OWW newsletter. (OWW = Online Writing Workshop for SF, Fantasy and Horror). She gave some terrific advice.

***

I'm rather pleased with the interview line-up I have for OWW this year. And I love that we now have a full team with a single-minded purpose to put out the best newsletter we can. Everyone works well together and I can always count on them to turn in their work before the deadline. It makes my job much less stressful.

I once edited another newsletter that was an entirely different experience. It was so stressful, I grew to hate that job. Every month would see me tearing out my hair trying to get people to turn in their articles on time.

This explains my bald head and the manic look in my one good eye.

To me, a job, no matter how mundane is like a combat mission. You do it no matter how nasty, dull or difficult it is. If I wrote only when I felt like it, tidied up when the mood hit me, or worked on my marketing whenever it was convenient, I'd never get anything done. So this mindset works for me.

Although, it could be argued I apply dogged determination toward everything I do. LOL!

One thing I started doing again is writing daily to-do lists. I used to write lists religiously in the old days, but I've slipped off the wagon the last couple of years.

But this year, I started out on the right foot by quickly jotting down all the things I want to get done that day.

It works for me. And every time I cross something off, it makes me feel like I accomplished something that day.

Do you ever write to-do lists? Does it help?

8 comments:

Dru said...

I write to-do lists especially at work and check off every tasks that I complete.

At home is a different story because sometimes I forget the list as I'm walking out the door. So now as soon as I write a list, I put it in my bag and then it works.

Have a good Wednesday.

Maria Zannini said...

Ref: At home is a different story because sometimes I forget the list as I'm walking out the door.

Oh man, I can relate to that. My number one oops is walking out the door without my shopping list.

Then I'm forced to walk down EVERY aisle to see if the stuff I see jogs my memory.

:sigh: if I only had a memory.

Marianne Arkins said...

Memory? What's that?

And, I live and die by to-do lists. If I don't write it down it never happens...

Maria Zannini said...

Is that kinda like if a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound? LOL.

The funny thing is when both Greg and I try to remember the same thing. It's like the blind leading the blind. --hopeless.

Sherri said...

When I worked outside the home I was on top of things...though I never really made a to do list. Now...blah...almost need a to do list to remember to brush my teeth in the morning, LOL.

Actually, a daily to do list is something I should get into doing. I might actually get though that list of goals I posted for myself!

Maria Zannini said...

You know, I think I was more organized too when I worked outside the home.

It might have to do with the fact that my schedule was more structured and rigorous. I had to accomplish things in a small window or lose the opportunity all together.

Given my circumstances, it might be a good idea to be stricter with my schedule.

Shelley Munro said...

I've started doing lists again too, especially since I have so much happening in the early months this year. I've been busily ticking things off this week. It does feel great when I see all those ticks.

Maria Zannini said...

Tick
Tick
Tick

Sounds like a time bomb, Shelley. :o)