Two Videos For Writers

Over the weekend I came across two videos that every writer can relate to.

The first is an amazing discovery on how our brains process reading and writing. The delivery of this information is also genuinely clever.



The second I found on Kristin Nelson's blog. It's about the bane of all authors...the bad review.

I laughed out loud. I could easily picture myself in that author's place. Take a look and tell me if you agree.



***
I am still car-less. Yesterday, Greg had to go back to Zannini South. He only made it a hundred miles when the electrical system in HIS vehicle died.

Unbelievable.

It was Sunday afternoon and there are no auto repair shops or car rental companies open. Fortunately, the tow truck driver got him to a hotel where he waits patiently (watching tv and getting free breakfast) while I make arrangements to have somebody pick me up so I can rent a car.

This time I get to save him. Hee!

I can tell you about all the other things that have failed in the past week, but nah, it's too depressing. All that matters is that he's safe. I'll settle for that.

Ah, the joys of long distance relationships.

***
In the good news/bad news department, I got my new phone, the Droid Incredible. Yes, it is pretty incredible. I am overwhelmed at all the things it can do. And the wonderful bonus: I actually get reception INSIDE my house. Huzzah!

The bad news is that I am hanging up on people constantly and I am calling people I don't mean to call. My fingers (little as they are) keep hitting the wrong keys or never finding the right ones in time to answer the call.

It's a learning curve.

So far, I really like this phone. I can't wait until I learn how to use it.

PS If I hung up on you, I'm really, really sorry.

Let me know what you think of the videos.

Comments

Joanne said…
Cute clip on the reviews, and so true! Reviews are so subjective, what one reader loves, someone else might not.

Hope you get your wheels back soon ...
Jennifer Shirk said…
Dang, there's an error with the second video and it won't play for me.
Yes, let me know more about your phone when you get to "know" it better. I'm going to need an upgrade in the fall.
Anonymous said…
Damn you, Nicholas Sparks! I really enjoyed both. I hope, if published, I don't sit and wait for the amazon reviews to roll in.
Liz Fichera said…
OMG, that second video was hilarious! And funnier than anything I saw at the movies this weekend! Thanks for sharing!
Maria Zannini said…
Joanne:

Bad reviews: It's a hard pill to swallow. If I (hopefully never!) get a bad review, I am going to make this video my standard. :)
Maria Zannini said…
Jennifer:

Will do on the phone. It's been great so far.

Here's the YouTube link for the second video, in case you can get it to play for you there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Cr6s-Heso&feature=player_embedded
Maria Zannini said…
Barbara:

It's a double edged sword. While I've never gotten a bad one, I still shiver like a wet cat in a pen full of hyenas every time I see one pop up.

LOL.
Maria Zannini said…
Liz!

May all your reviews be fantabulous!

I just got back in, but I'll pop into your blog a little later.

You've got a book birthday to celebrate.

Congrats!!
Unknown said…
Video #1: Holy cow! That's fascinating. I'm going to tell Tish - who has mild dyslexia. Granted it's not the same thing, but she'll still find it interesting.

Video #2: OMG yes! That was hilarious! "Not as good as/almost as good as Nicholas Sparks."

Re new phone: Maybe you could try hitting the buttons with a capped pen or the eraser end of a pencil?
Maria Zannini said…
Catie: I really thought that first vid was wild. I'm fascinated by what the brain can do, especially after it's been injured.

Ref: phone

Tried the pencil eraser. I think it's a matter of touching the key at the right angle. I seem to be getting better at typing what I want--but I still hang up on people or click on the wrong number to call.

Live and learn.
Anonymous said…
The clip on Amazon reviews was hilarious!

daw
Maria Zannini said…
Hi Daw!

Her expressions said it all. It didn't need words.