https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Blog Shout Out Winners

I proclaim the Blog Shout-Out contest a great success. It turned out so well, I'm thinking about doing it next year too.

I purposely kept it small so that you wouldn't be flooded with links, but if I do it next year, I'll have it run over a longer length of time and give out more prizes.


One of the things I liked was seeing people actually commenting on blogs. That's the problem with most blogs, a lot of people visit, but few leave comments.

Granted, I don't expect people to comment every time, but when something tickles your brain, you should drop a line or two. This is what creates relationships. You say something. Then they say something. Before you know it, you're having a conversation.

We need more real conversations and less cricket noises.

Given that
Blogger/Google didn't play nice with me last week, I know some people missed some posts, so I'm going to list the entire run down by day.

Monday

Mike Keyton, Record of a Baffled Spirit

Kaz Augustin, Cooking with Kaz

Marguerite Butler, Marguerite Says

Jeannie Mierni
k, The Magic Nutshell

April Hollands, Le Franco Phoney


Tuesday

Lydia Kang, The Word is my Oyster

Stacy Low, Form & Funktion

Denise Covey, l'Aussie

Jim Vines, T
he Working Screenwriter

Manuel Royal, Donnetown Today

Wedneday

Dru, Dallnotes

Jackie, Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

Lisa Clark & Lisa Davis-Craig

Terri Coop, Why I Fear Clowns

Diane J, Contentedly Neurotic

Thursday

Kait Nolan, Shadow and Fang

Sandra Ulbrich Almazon: Speculative Fiction Author

Marian Perera, Flights of Fancy

Barbara Ann Wright

Renee Miller,
Dangling on the Edge of (In)Sanity

Friday

Abby Ang

Marianne Arkins, Reading, Writing, & Stuff That Makes Me Crazy

Liz Fichera

Jane Lovering

Gina Langridge, Fairy Hedgehog


Saturday


Stella, Ex Libris

Ruth Rockafield, Power of the Pen

Sara-Jayne Townsend, Says Sara


Barbara Martin

Gemma, The Literary Project

Sunday

Krista D. Ball

LM Preston

Wendy Ramer

Tyffani Clark

Susan Griscom


Each blog entry was placed in the Randomizer in the order received.

Drum roll, please.

The winner of the Texas package is...
Marian Perera

***

Ms/Mr Congeniality: And because several of you went above and beyond visiting and commenting, I made myself a little note of your names and put them in the Randomizer too.

This winner will get
'Touch Of Fire' in ebook and a tube of Chicken Poop lip balm. (Relax, there is NO chicken poop in the balm.) It's a blend of natural emollients.

When I saw the packaging, I had to get it! The tag line reads: Grandpa says: "If ya got dry lips, put chicken poop on 'em so you won't lick 'em."

Is that not great marketing?


And the winner of the Ms Congeniality prize is Terri Coop.

Marian and Terri, please email me your physical mail addresses and I'll get your prizes in the mail.

I hope all of you won yourselves a few new readers along the way. And I hope you enjoyed the contest as much as I did. We'll see about doing this again next year.

Now that the contest is over, maybe I'll have some time to actually visit you myself. It's been a little crazy this past week.

Link often and link well.

Note: If you are following me, and I have not followed you back, please let me know.

And if you're not following me...what are you waiting for? I'm not getting any prettier you know. I keep trying, but this seems to be as good as it gets. LOL.

Off to blog hop. On Wednesday, we return to regular programming.

Update: Just stopped off at Stacy Low's blog. She wants to know about you. Stop over and introduce yourself.

26 comments:

Krista D. Ball said...

It was a lot of fun. Thank you for taking the time to do this, Maria. I know that it's a lot of work and I appreciated that you mentioned my blog on your website.

Krista :)

Maria Zannini said...

I hope you got some new readers, Krista!

Thanks for entering.

Joanne said...

This was a great idea Maria. It was a nice way to visit new blogs and forge new connections, and dialogues!

SueG said...

Since you asked...I'm not sure if you're following me or not. I should know how to check -- and believe me, remembering is not a possibility. But just in case, do come by and say hi sometime. I've enjoyed your blog shout-out. A great idea.
Thanks.Sue Guiney
http://sueguineyblog.blogspot.com

Helen Ginger said...

Love the Chicken Poop lip balm. That is too funny. I'd get a tube just to pull it out and see the reaction.

Congrats on the great success on the Blog Shout-Out contest.

MaryC said...

Thanks so much for doing this, Maria. I don't have a lot of online time during the school year but this summer I've been trying to click on links and discover new blogs. It's funny how I often see the same faces popping up, but that helps build the feeling of relationships you mentioned.
Cyberspace may be vast but we create our own little communities within it and that is a lovely thing.

Maria Zannini said...

Joanne: It was a simple case of throwing a party.

I put out the buffet (of bloggers). :)

Maria Zannini said...

SueG:

You have like a ninja follower's list. LOL. I remember trying to follow you, but you didn't have that widget up--or at least it wasn't visible.

So I manually went in to my follow list and added you that way. Hopefully it should show up on your side, wherever it is you keep your followers.

Thanks for letting me know!

Maria Zannini said...

Helen:

I thought that chicken poop balm was a riot. I've only seen it at one place. I'm going to have to go back and see if I can get more. They'll make great Christmas gifts.

Maria Zannini said...

MaryC: Glad to have you here, Mary.

We keep too much to ourselves, or sometimes we have such a small group, we never think to venture outside our comfort zone.

I like meeting new people. I've learned a lot from them.

Angela said...

Maria, glad to see that your contest was such a success. You've done something that is wonderful for other bloggers and that is most impressive of all.

Kudos bella!

Maria Zannini said...

Angela: It was really quite a lot of fun to meet new folks.

I'm ready to try this again next year.

Ted Cross said...

It was great that you did this. I'm just sorry that I missed out.

Maria Zannini said...

Next year, Ted. Next year.

I expect you to play. :o)

Marian Perera said...

Wow. Thank you, Maria! I just finished a marathon writing session and was kind of bleary when I looked at your blog, so for a moment I thought I had won a booby prize of nicely packaged chicken poop. And I was trying to compose a "no thanks, really, it was my pleasure" reply when it dawned on me.

This was such a fun event, so thank you very much for all your effort and time. You rock. :)

Maria Zannini said...

You're welcome, Marian. Email me your snail mail address when you get a chance.

I will get your package in the mail.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Whoa. I just got to the party and feeling a little overwhelmed. So many blogs, so little time. But I'm going to try to look at them all.

Maria Zannini said...

Linda:

Better late than never. Jump in anywhere.

Try a few blogs at a time and see how you like them.

sayssara said...

Thanks for doing this, Maria. I got a lot of new people visiting my blog, and discovered somew new ones myself!

Sara

Marianne Arkins said...

So... I pretty much missed the entire show because only ONE post of yours showed up in my Google Reader. Bother...

It's a fabulous idea, though, and I really need to do something similar. I'm actually thinking about highlighting one blog a week on mine. In my spare time.

Thanks for doing it! I'm planning on going to the blogs you have listed -- I have this post bookmarked so that I can.

Maria Zannini said...

Sara:

So glad to hear this. That was the whole point.

Thanks for letting me know.

Maria Zannini said...

Marianne:

Yeah, Google/Blogger was very bad last week.

But apparently most people don't use readers because stats jumped through the roof during that same time period.

I'd be lost though, since I rely on the reader so heavily.

jackie b central texas said...

Congratulations to the winners Marian and Terri! BTW the chicken poop lip balm idea is from a joke about two cowboys out on the range who come across a pile of fresh cow dung and the old cowpoke gets down off his horse and puts some on his lips. The younger one asks why and he says because his lips are dry. The young cowpoke asks if the dung moistens them and the old guy says "No, but it keeps me from licking them and drying them out more!" My DH thinks it is funny so hear it a lot!

Maria, you get the same results as the reader on your Blog Dashboard page but without some of the fanfare I guess. My best and safest bet is following on my RSS feed in emails and those come no matter what Blogger screws up.
This was a neat idea and you really did do a lot of work to make it happen. Thanks for including me as yes a few more blogs for me to now visit that are different than what I normally find. A few more people following my blog as well.

jackie ^_^

Maria Zannini said...

Jackie: Thanks for the background story to the Chicken Poop lip balm. I bought a couple more because I thought they were such a great idea.

The balm is really quite pleasant and it works!

Ref: rss

I try not to use the rss feed because I get so much email now. Google Reader allows me to browse and save the posts to when I'm ready to read. Though rss is much safer, that's for sure.

Thanks!

Jennifer Shirk said...

I'll definitely check out those blogs. Cool contest you had!

Terri Coop said...

Chicken Poop?

::runs around in circles::

YAY!

Sorry it took me so long to check in. Life got "complicated" this week. Look for an email and I will treasure my prize!

Terri
www.whyifearclowns.com