https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Book Shout-Outs

Lots of different kinds of books to try out.


Cat, Kassie, Sian and Loi are anything but damsels in distress. Fed up with a lack of decent male specimens they cast a love spell in the hopes of finding their soul-mates. And inadvertently land themselves on another planet. Oops.




Trouble. That’s what wolf-shifter Mick Guidry thinks when a beautiful woman appears in his New Orleans bar with a hurricane at her back. His first impression is confirmed when Sophie starts asking questions about his missing waitress, Liza. Mick will do anything to rescue a member of the pack he’s made for himself, including forming an unlikely alliance with a woman with a badge.



Dance On Fire by James Garcia
Two Kingsburg police officers have been butchered in an attack as ferocious as it is mystifying. Now two detectives and their families are being drawn into a battle that threatens to destroy them and those around them. In a marriage of horror and Christian themes of good conquering evil and redemption, Dance on Fire is the fictional account of characters drawn into the fire by supernatural forces.




 Perfect Score by Susan Roebuck
Feckless, exasperating Alex Finch is a rich, handsome and talented singer/songwriter who longs for two things: a career as a professional rock singer, and to have his love for Sam Barrowdale reciprocated. But drifter Sam's two aims are simply to earn enough money to pay his sister's medical bills and to hide from the world his reading/writing and speech disability.



Cage Stone and Keeper Sabelline Shelton begin the dangerous journey to reset the seals and halt the demon invasion of Futhark. But nothing is as it should be. Cage’s keen senses guide them to a place previously unknown to mankind. Here Cage will discover some bitter truths about his past, and he and Sabelline will learn how truly desperate is the future for mankind.



Virile, golden-haired Kerrick performed his manly duties like a champion, bedding virgin after virgin with the restraint expected from a Harvester. But when his leaders decide to change the rules, the tables are turned. Kerrick becomes the sexual servant of his destined mate, the beautiful and fiery Ariss.





 


Coming February 9
A menage anthology. Angelina's story is called “The Problem with Love Spells”.







Coming February 21
The dead have no respect for anyone trying to have a life. Portia Mahaffey always liked that she was the only woman in her family without a psychic 'gift'. But a concussion awakens her latent ability to see ghosts. And one of those ghosts is prepared to haunt her until Portia agrees to convince the police her death was no accident. 




Good pickings! If you get the time, stop by and visit these authors. 

Although I read widely, I have a speshul crush on the paranormal, particularly ghosts or ghost hunters. 

Is there one particular literary device or theme that always draws you in?


***
The Follower Contest is still going strong. Lots of new entries recently popped in. I've had fun discovering some new people. Contest ends January 26, 2010. If I reach 200 Followers, I will add a query critique.

23 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Hmmm...I do usually gravitate toward humourous reads or covers.
But I like to swtich things up now and again so sometimes a really cool thriller cover wil grab me too.

Maria Zannini said...

Jennifer: I see you as a humor reader, but thrillers surprise me. But then none of us read the same thing all the time. It's a good switch.

Angela Felsted said...

Great pics. Thanks for the heads-up on the new books.

Joanne said...

I read lots of commercial fiction, family drama types, and women's fiction. And always a good memoir thrown in the mix too.

Marguerite Butler said...

Hey, thanks for the shout out and the recomendations. I have a speshul crush on paranormal myself. Shapeshifters rock my world. If people get furry in a book, I'll read it.

My odd or unexpected crush would be middle grade paranormal/action adventure. Harry Potter? Percy Jackson and the Olympians? Bring 'em on!

Sue Roebuck said...

You're a gem, Maria. Thank you so much for the shout-out. There're some great reads here (apart from mine of course!)
Sue

Jayne said...

Hi Maria - wow, great book recs with tasty bite-sized blurbs; a fabulous follower content; a Q&A opportunity... you know what? I think I'll make myself a coffee and bed down on your blog for a while. :)

Rula Sinara said...

In the paranormal genre, I like witches/magic best. I great cover and title are often what first attracts me to a book...then the blurb.

Angelina Rain said...

Thanks Maria, some of those books sound really great. Will have to check them out. And thank you for putting my book up there too. That really makes me feel all warm and special inside. You’re the best!

Sarah Ahiers (Falen) said...

Love that Sinful Harvest cover!
I'm crossing my fingers you'll hit 200 followers by the 26th - i see you're up 7 since the last time i checked so that's good

Dru said...

You know where I fall, mysteries, mostly cozies. I also read romantic suspense and thrillers, although lately I've been reading contemporary romance.

jackie b central texas said...

Witches, ghosts, goblins, vampires, werewolves, faefolk they all make me come back for more... If all these elements are explored in one book I am in absolute reading bliss!

Of course a few of my thrillers, my historicals, and my mystery authors draw me back time and again as well!

I have one more installment of the last chapter of Kait's book to come by email and will have the whole book to read on my computer, have been looking forward to reading Forsaken By Shadow for quite a while!

Maria Zannini said...

Angela: I like to do my part for public service. :)

Joanne: I love memoirs and hardly anyone knows that about me. I'm especially partial to hard luck stories from a century ago.

Marguerite: I credit Rowling for turning me on to YA. I would've never touched the stuff if it weren't for her.

Sue: You're welcome, sweetie.

Maria Zannini said...

Jayne! How are you feeling, hon? I was so worried about you. Glad to see you posting again.

Rula: I'm automatically drawn to great art, but I have to read the first couple of pages before I buy. Too often I've found great stories with rotten covers or vice versa. You never can tell.

Angelina: You're welcome! I don't catch everyone, but if people stay on my radar, I try to give them some air time when I can.

Madeleine said...

Now that's quite a selection, but will they give me bightmares? I once asked a bookseller whethere he'd read a particular book I was buying and he said 'No, I don't do harrowing' LOL! :O)

Maria Zannini said...

Sarah: Ref: Sinful Harvest cover
Gee, I wonder why that was? LOL.

Dru: I know how hard core mystery lover you are, so you surprise me when you read romance. A good story trumps all, regardless of genre.

Jackie! How are you feeling, woman? I was going to email you today to check on you. Hope you're still taking it easy.

Ref: books
I get some of my best recs from you. I love your reviews. They're so heartfelt.

Maria Zannini said...

Madeleine:

Ref: ...I don't do harrowing
Oh, that's priceless! I have to admit, I don't like being scared so I take a chance with ghost stories every time. I'm always torn between finishing the book and trembling under the covers. LOL!

Jayne said...

Aw it made me feel all warm and fuzzy to see that lovely comment on my blog - it's nice to know you're in someone's thoughts! I'm never usually that long away from the blog, it felt so wrong. I'm doing good - despite real life stuff threatening to tie me in knots - when all I want to do is tuck away and write! One day, one day. I feel lot brighter though, which is a good thing!

Maria Zannini said...

Jayne: That's the thing about blogs. The people you meet and follow become more than ether.

And you're right. While I would love to cocoon myself and write to my bliss, it's good for me to interact and act like I'm not a total recluse.

Kitty steps. :-)

Novelty Pens said...

Maria,

Thank you so much for the recommended reads... I so enjoyed Kait's, Forsaken By Shadow... I can't wait to get into the new work.

Melissa McClone said...

I'm a contemporary romance reader. I'll pick up a few paranormals, but I like lighter ones rather than really dark ones.

Maria Zannini said...

Novelty Pens: I think Kait Nolan will be one to watch.


Melissa: I have to be careful about dark stories. I don't want to have nightmares for weeks on end, so I generally avoid them. (sorry grisly horror writers)

Cate Masters said...

Great selection. I'm in the middle of the first in Susan Gourley's series, The Keepers of Sulbreth, and am loving it.