This 'n That Update

My two week vacation went by fast! Family occupied most of my time, so I foresee another (shorter) mini-vacation around the Fourth of July.

Homestead Update: The garden is doing well, even with our triple digits. But it looks like I lost my two cherry trees. I talked to the nursery-woman and she said they probably went into shock. I've been trying to resuscitate them but I think they're goners. At least they're guaranteed, so I'll get my money back. She told me cherry trees are notorious for going shocky. Next year, I'll water them with root stimulator.

I've been taking a little canning workshop the last couple of weekends, and I've learned so much! But I wish I lived near someone who liked to can. I have no one to share the experience with me.

Weird Moment: Over the weekend I stopped by the feed store to pick up feed for the chicks. This other couple was there asking chicken questions and the lady behind the counter didn't have any answers, so I chipped in what I knew. One thing led to another and I invited them back to my place to see our set-up.

While they were there, we started talking about their home and I remarked that it sounded just like the house we almost bought. The more we talked, the more we realized it was the house we almost bought. When the sellers didn't accept our counter offer, we walked. 

The house stayed on the market for several more months, and this couple ended up buying it for 20k less than what we offered. I imagine those sellers were kicking themselves for turning us down.

But it all worked out in the end. As gorgeous as that first house was, I like the one we ended up with better. It's more secluded. 

Is that not bizarre? What are the chances of meeting the people who bought the house we walked away from? And they live 20 miles away!

Writing update: Didn't get a lot of new writing done, but I did finish all my edits for my current project. I hope to announce some good news on that one soon.

Apocalypse Rising news: I had a surprise a few days ago when Embrace The Shadows put Apocalypse Rising in a cover contest. Not sure how long the contest will run, but if you like the cover, cast your vote here

***
So that was my two weeks while I was gone. Tomorrow, I am hosting a special guest from the Carina Press staff to celebrate their one year anniversary. Be sure to stop by and visit with us.

***
I think we're going to the movies this week. Greg wants to see Thor, and I'd like to see Priest. I'm not a big vampire fan, but I'll watch anything with Paul Bettany. Are there any movies you recommend?

Comments

Sarita Leone said…
I wish we lived closer. I'm making strawberry jam this morning. It's much more fun to can with someone else.

So glad you enjoyed your time away. Sounds very productive!

Cherry trees can be touchy. It took a few years for ours to really take hold. This year they're flourishing, covered with tiny cherries and looking beautiful.
Maria Zannini said…
Oh, you give me hope, Sarita. I love cherries and they are so hard to find locally. I'll try to be patient. Thanks!
Joanne said…
Wait a minute, did I see "triple digits" somewhere in this post? I think my whole garden would have withered in that. We're expecting mid 90s later this week, and that's about all we (my garden and I) can take :/
Maria Zannini said…
Joanne:
Ref: Tripled digits
I'm afraid so. But the irrigation system is now fully operational, so even when I forget, it still waters for me.
Jackie said…
I recommend Thor (even though have not seen it yet the mythology movies always are great with the special effects even if the actual plot is not so wonderful), Paul Bettany is great in Priest and Karl Urban is delish but unless you really like dark vampire themes wait till the movie comes out on DVD... I do recommend you see X-Men first class if you are a lover of comic books turned movies and have watched the rest of the films...

Maria how cool you met the "new" owners of the house you two walked away from, as far as them getting it cheaper does not surprise me the previous owners goofed as people get pushed hard by realtor to sell sell sell even when they lose money in the deal...

Looking forward to the "good news" and looking forward to what you have planned to celebrate Carina turning a big 1 years old!
Maria Zannini said…
Jackie: Greg is really the comics-to-movies fan. I just go along for the company. :)

I didn't know Karl Urban was in Priest. He's pretty good too. Thanks.
Sarah Ahiers said…
That is crazy! That reminds me of a time when my parents were walking our sheepie Winnie at a park. She was about 12 years old at this time and a couple came up with their own sheepie. After they talked for a little bit they realized Winnie and this other dog were from the same litter! 12 years later and they were both still going strong
Mike Keyton said…
My son enjoyed Thor, and he's a fairly intelligent bod
Unknown said…
I love that you met the people who bought your 'nearly' house. Bizarre! Glad you prefer the house you did buy though.

As for the triple digits, yikes.
Maria Zannini said…
Sarah: That is wild! I wonder if they traded stories on well they made out with their respective families.

Mike: An intelligent bod? Are we talking Thor or your son? :grin:

Shirley: What was weird was I was so relieved when the sellers turned down our offer. My gut kept telling me it wasn't yet the perfect house for us.
Marianne Arkins said…
I wish you were closer ... I'd LOVE a canning buddy :-)

RE: Root stuff -- I always use it now (after losing a whole pile of bushes). I swear by it.

Sounds like you had a good time off!
J.K. Coi said…
Wow you've been busy! I wish I had such a green thumb, but even the tomatoes I planted are wilting!
Angelina Rain said…
Funny story about your home. When my hubby and I were looking for a home, we found one but another family wanted the house too and they offered more money for it then we could afford, so we didn’t buy that house. About a month later, we bought our house which is about two blocks away from the other house. This was in June of 2009. In October, the house next to the house we wanted to buy caught fire and caused damages to the houses around it, including the house we wanted to buy. So we were very happy we didn’t get that house after all.

Sorry about your trees. Hopefully you can get new ones.

I voted for AR in the cover contest!
Maria Zannini said…
Marianne: I learned my lesson about cherry trees. I'll baby them more next year.

JK: Around here, water is the key. It just gets too hot here.

Angelina: Don't you wonder if sometimes things work out for a reason. Glad it wasn't your house.

And thank you for voting!
Sherri said…
Sounds like a good two weeks :)

It's funny you mentioned canning as I was just thinking about that myself! Where's that transporter?!
Meghan S. said…
That is odd, meeting the couple that bought the house you originally wanted. Goes to show what a small world it really is! :)

I don't go to the movies often, but I just saw "Bridesmaids" and it was pretty funny. I am looking forward to "Super 8" which is coming out either this Fri or next. That should be an awesome movie.
Dru said…
That is so cool about seeing the people who bought your almost house.