https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Monday, September 10, 2012

Keeping Up With the Holsteins

More publishing news. This one is fantasy romance with a lesbian twist. The Pyramid Waltz is Barbara Wright's debut novel. A first novel is like your first time--it's extra special  so I wanted to give her some author love.

Please welcome Barbara and thank her Holstein neighbors for putting her on the path to writing. Keep reading. You'll see what I mean.

Keeping Up With the Holsteins

My neighbors were cows. Literally. When I was a small child, the only signs of civilization around our house were a broken-down barn in the neighboring pasture, the power lines that ran up to the distant road, and the barbed wire fence that kept the neighbor cows off our lawn.

The rolling pasture dotted with forest ran all the way to the horizon, and at night, any cities were so far away that they were mere smudges on the sky's black bowl.

Such emptiness fills up a young mind, and in the grip of loneliness, imagination is born. It thrives there, making characters to act out childhood dramas as well as vast cities, civilizations, worlds. I wrote so many stories, almost none of them making their way to paper. I couldn't write fast enough to keep up with myself.

Even though I have no wish to live in such a lonely place again, I owe my creativity in part to such a lack of chatter. I often had to make up my own playmates (the cows weren't interested), so I figured, if I could make up characters, why not a setting? Once there, we would need something to do, an obstacle to overcome, a plot. When it became too hot to fill up the whole outside with my imaginary worlds, they'd get smaller, indoors, with Barbie to help me act out my stories of bravery and adventure, love and sacrifice, and good triumphing over evil. I was over tea parties as soon as I found out they didn't involve pirates or space marines or Scooby Doo.

Now I revel in real people, real adventures. After all, no one can stay in her own head forever, can she? Unless this is that iconic episode in every TV series where someone tries to convince the main character that she's really in a mental institution and that old house in the country really drove her crazy.
Either way, now you can see the products of my imagination for yourself. My fantasy romance, The Pyramid Waltz is available now in paperback and e-book from Bold Strokes Books. After all, out on the farm, we need plenty to read. Cows are terrible conversationalists.

Bio: Barbara Ann Wright writes fantasy and science fiction novels and short stories when not adding to her enormous book collection or ranting on her blog. Her short fiction has appeared twice in Crossed Genres Magazine and once made Tangent Online's recommended reading list. She is a member of Broad Universe and the Outer Alliance and helped create Writer's Ink in Houston. The Pyramid Waltz is her first novel.

Visit Barbara's blog
Buy The Pyramid Waltz in paper
Buy The Pyramid Waltz in digital 

The Pyramid Waltz
To most, Princess Katya Nar Umbriel is a rogue and a layabout; she parties, she hunts and she breaks women’s hearts. But when the festival lights go down and the palace slumbers, Katya chases traitors to the crown and protects the kingdom’s greatest secret: the royal Umbriels are part Fiend. When Katya thwarts an attempt to expose the king’s monstrous side, she uncovers a plot to let the Fiends out to play.

Starbride has no interest in being a courtier. Ignoring her mother’s order to snare an influential spouse, she comes to court only to study law. But a flirtatious rake of a princess proves hard to resist, and Starbride is pulled into a world of secrets that leaves little room for honesty or love, a world neither woman may survive.

Do pop in and congratulate Barbara on her debut.  It's a big day for her.

A question for you: Holsteins may have started Barbara on her journey, but what about you? What was the catalyst that started you writing? 

My catalyst was the day I had NOTHING else to remodel in my home or garden. Living 300 miles away from my husband and with no other activities, I started writing after I came home from work. (Selling was a different karmic jump.)



24 comments:

Stacy McKitrick said...

I guess the catalyst that started me writing was Twilight. That book was written in first person and I wanted to know what Edward thought. So in 2009 I wrote my own story, with two POVs. When I realized it was a decent first draft, I then decided to take classes to make it better. Been hooked writing ever since.

L.G.Smith said...

Yeah, it really is a big deal. Congratulations on the book release and best of luck!

Mike Keyton said...

Good luck, Barbara.

My catalyst? Ruth Aldiss

Maria Zannini said...

Stacy: That's kind of cool that a character put you on the road.

***
LG: The first book is always special.

***
Mike: You need to send Ruth a thank you note. :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Congrats, Barbara!!

You never know what will spark your imagination. :-)
I started when I became a stay-at-home mom and was bored out of my mind when my kiddo napped. I had to "go" somewhere. LOL

Barbara Ann Wright said...

Stacey, I wrote some Star Trek fan fiction pretty early if I remember.

L.G., thanks so much!

Mike, thank you.

Jennifer, thank you. I know a lot of Moms who are in the same boat.

Barbara Ann Wright said...

And thank you for having me, Maria!

Sarah Ahiers said...

Yay! Congrats Barbara!
i think my start was just the twin and i being bored one day and deciding to write a story together.

Barbara Ann Wright said...

Thanks, Sarah. Boredom is also a great motivator.

Angela Brown said...

Yay for Barbara! So happy you've got your debut out. And a Moo shout out to the Holsteins. Too bad they didn't want to play though. I can just imagine the fun there :-)

My catalyst, I suppose, was wanting to do more than talk about writing a book. Journaling was one thing. But to put something together in a manuscript form was something different. After a few trial runs - where one ended in the digital abyss - I've gotten a tiny bit better...I hope :-)

Ellie Garratt said...

Congratulations, Barbara. The Pyramid Waltz sounds an exciting read. I can certainly empathize with you about making up worlds to counter loneliness. I was an only child for a while, with older parents, and didn't have many friends. I spent a lot of time imagining I was someone/somewhere else.

If you get a chance, pop over to my blog - I'm looking for writers of speculative fiction for a series of guest posts/interviews. I would love for you (and Maria!) to consider taking part.

Barbara Ann Wright said...

Angela, cows are anti-play when it comes to little girls that want to pretend they're dragons. ^_^ Congrats on your book, too!

Ellie, thank you. We lonely children have to stick together. I'll definitely check out your blog.

widdershins said...

I grew up in the country too, and my treehouse became a spaceship, a submarine, a hobbit house ... you get the picture ... and sometimes it was even a treehouse - of the Robinson Crusoe sort, of course!

Maria Zannini said...

Jennifer, Sarah: Sounds like you guys were in the same boat I was. Boredom is a great motivator. I wonder if that's how the early storytellers came to be at the dawn of civilization.

***
Angela: Now you can say you walk the walk and talk the talk. :)

***
Ellie: I'll be sure to tweet it tonight.

***
widdershins: Maybe we become storytellers to bring out the kid in all of us.

Maria Zannini said...

Barbara: LOL. I can just imagine you trying to coax a poor cow to pretend it's a dragon.

I'm so glad you told this story. :)

raelynbarclay said...

Congrats Barbara!

LD Masterson said...

"Congratulations" to Barbara.

"Good job" to the cows.

Shelley Munro said...

Congratulations on your new release, Barbara. I love that cows started you on the path to writing.
I started writing because I thought it looked easy. I quickly learned how wrong I was!

TerriBruce said...

LOL - another member of the lonely kid club here! :-) Great story, Barbara! You brought back a lot of childhood memories :-)

Barbara Ann Wright said...

Widdershins, I loved being shipwrecked on our trampoline.

Raelynbarclay, thank you!

LD, thank you. The cows thank you, too.

Shelley, thank you. The cows told me it was easy, too. Anything to get me to leave them alone.

Terri, woo, lonely kids! I hope I brought back GOOD memories. ^_^

Melissa McClone said...

I'm a total cliche when it comes to writing. I read a book and thought I could do better. So I gave it a shot! Found a passion. And kept going.

Barbara Ann Wright said...

Way to go, Melissa! Always keep going forward.

Nadja Notariani said...

Best of luck with your new release! All the best...Nadja Notariani

Barbara Ann Wright said...

Thank you, Nadja.