Fill'er Up

Years ago, I had an employee who mercifully (for me) finally retired. If the sun was shining, she'd say it was going to storm. If we had a party, she'd be in a corner badmouthing the food. If the company gave everyone a bonus, she'd complain it wasn't enough. There was no pleasing this woman.

Occasionally, I see this behavior on a few blogs and groups. Usually the good will of the majority will drown out the Negative Nancy's. Naysayers don't flourish unless they have enough minions to parrot their pessimistic view on life.

They will suck all the positive energy out of a room and then tell you it was your fault. Don't fall for it. Walk away and let them grumble on their own.

I avoid negative people at all costs and I think that that's the reason I'm almost always upbeat. And lest you think it's coincidence, let me tell you, I had a terrible, terrible year last year!

Two of my dearest friends died. For a while I didn't even have a place to live. And I had so many eye surgeries I couldn't even promote my book properly during its shiny new debut.

Don't feel sorry for me. I don't. There is nothing gloomy about my life.

No matter how terrible things got, there was always hope and where there's hope, good things grow.

When I think back on all the bad things that happened to me in 2008, do you know what I found in EVERY instance? My friends. They were always there for me to cheer me up, egg me on, or deliver the necessary boot to the butt.

All of us have bad days, some of us more than our fair share. But I solemnly believe that obstacles only test us. It's how we handle adversity that defines us.

My glass is always half full because there's always someone there to help me fill it.

Here's to a wonderful 2009 for all of us! May your cups runneth over with friends.

****
I-Needa-Name-Contest is still going on until January 9. Go here for more details. I thought I almost had a winner but then I Googled the name and discovered it was already heavily used by someone else. Darn!

Comments

J.K. Coi said…
You're going to have an AWESOME year in 2009 Maria! You've got a beautiful new house, fresh healthy eyes, a new book to write and no limitations! Oh, I want you on my blog again whenever you have time. I like positive people too! :)
Maria Zannini said…
Ooh, thanks JK. A blog invite! I'll try to be mildly amusing--or somewhat intelligent, whichever comes first. :o)