Ready to Plant

When you look at these pictures it doesn't seem that we have much to show for all our labor. You'll have to take my word on it.
,
This is only one half of the house. The sun was right in my way, otherwise I would have shown you the left side. It's a pretty long house. I get my exercise going from one end to the other. We've cut down several of the trees in the front which we thought were dangerously close to the house. After Hurricane Rita we try not to let any big tree get too close to the house. I never want to go through that again!




Side of the house, blessedly free of giant windows.



This is the wide view of the tilled land and the naked greenhouse next to it. It appears to be excellent soil. I can't wait to find out how it does this year.




This is a little bonus building we got in the deal. The interior is wired and there's a great potting workbench inside. We haven't decided yet if we'll raise rabbits, but if we do, the side of this building has a nice concrete slab and an overhang to keep the rain out.




No weed is safe when Tank is on patrol. Of course, none of my good plants are safe either.

We'll probably buy the plastic sheeting the next time Greg is in town. This greenhouse is 20 by 40 feet. It should keep us in greens nearly all year long.
.
That's all for now. I'll try to be better about documenting our progress. Most of this will be on the other blog dedicated to homesteading, coming next month.

Comments

Tara Maya said…
Ooo, I'm so jealous. Because of my hubby's job, we have to live near an urban center. I miss earth.
Maria Zannini said…
It was always our plan to find a place in the country when we got closer to retirement. It'll probably take us a good two years to get this looking like we want, but it feels good to see the dream starting to take shape.

You'll get there, Tara. Those of us tied to the earth, don't stray far from it for long.