Romance is in the Details

Yesterday, I took care of all my commitments (the ones I could remember). I sent out invitations, manuscripts, critiques, invoices, and 'what's up' emails to friends I hadn't heard from in a while.

TOUCH OF FIRE is with my editor and I've got back-to-back articles out on the web right now. I might let February go fallow so I can concentrate on the work in front of me.

I am trying to hold back my confidence because things are going TOO well. Never spit in the wind, I say. And I'm old enough to know that fortune, good and bad fortune, runs in cycles. One of my friends told me the other day that he thought this was my year. Heh! From his lips to God's ear. I hope so.

Anyway, I have been trying to tie up all my obligations so I can finish up my latest wip, that paranormal pirate story with no name. To muster my inspiration, I decided to watch Kate & Leopold.

Okay, confession time. This movie is a guilty pleasure. I love the romance, the actors, the subtle push and pull of the story line. Greg won't watch it with me, (he said once was enough) so I tend to watch it alone. That's okay. It gives me time to analyze all the things that worked for it. You don't think I watch it just for Hugh Jackman, do you? --Don’t answer that.

Kate & Leopold is a time travel fantasy where an English duke from the late 1800s is transported to 21st century NYC. Kate is cute as a go-getting modern woman who's pretty much given up on love because it's disappointed her so much.

Leopold, slowly and deliciously does all the things women wish men would do for them. He handpicks flowers not only for their beauty, but for their meaning. He makes dinner and ASKS her to dance to a rooftop violin serenade. He shapes the quill of a long feather into a writing pen and pours out the ink from a regular pen so he can write her a letter. And the pièce de résistance is when he comes to her rescue from horseback!

Everything is in the details--details women never ask for but always appreciate because we know it took actual thought on the man's part. And those details do double duty by intermingling the world building and the romance aspect of the story. I love too that the sexual tension keeps going throughout the movie. That's the way I want my books to read.

This is a movie I go back to watch just to pick up the nuances on turning points. I wish study hall was like this when I was in school.

Tomorrow: Back to our regular programming

Comments