No Pet Left Behind

The floods in the midwest are devastating. Having gone through a pretty massive hurricane, my heart goes out to all those people dealing with floods, but I cannot forgive you if you insist on leaving your pets behind.

I know a lot of places won't take you if you have animals. Please don't leave them just because you can't be assured a nice hotel room. Sleep in your car if you have to. We have. That's the price of good pet stewardship. There was no way we were going to leave our dogs behind.

During the last hurricane, Greg and I did a relay race of moving all the dogs and as many of our possessions as we could. And then I had to say goodbye to Greg because he was on the emergency rescue team and had to go back. He left the strike zone only a few hours before Rita hit.

After the hurricane, we went back to clean up the mess. If you don't know the story, let me make it short and tell you it was BAD. 21 days without power, precious little fuel and literally no sleep. But the most sickening thing of all was finding so many animals wandering the roads looking for their owners and some food. Shame on you! Shame on all of you who leave your pets.

Greg got there before I did and he immediately set to giving food to any stray that came up to the house. The horror stories of so many abandoned animals after hurricanes Katrina and Rita are legendary.

I don't care how much food and water you leave your pets. They are your responsibility. Take them with you. They are not fair weather friends--but obviously people who leave them behind are.

Yeah, I'm a little ticked off. I saw too much of that not that long ago, and here it is happening again.

Comments