Cheap Tricks: Freezing Meat by Portion




 
For other Cheap Tricks go here.

Comments

B.E. Sanderson said…
I cut the big package of ground beef into equal parts of 1/4-1/3lb, then freeze the hunks in separate plastic baggies. Then I can pat into patties for burgers or crumble for recipes right inside the baggie. =o)
Stacy McKitrick said…
Hey, I knew that trick. Maybe I'm not such a dweeb after all. :)
Maria Zannini said…
BE: That's how I started but I figured I'd go ahead and make them patty shaped (I always make 1/3 lb patties) and save the trouble for later.

The only time I leave them in slabs now is if I need them for a nacho plate or something as big.
I do this with everything. Fish, chicken, roasted butternut squash, leftovers... it all gets portioned and frozen. Don't know where I'd be without my freezer.
Maria Zannini said…
Marlene: I know people with big families probably don't need this tip but if it's just two or three people, repackaging food into portions is the best way not to overeat and use up food before it spoils.
JackieBCentralTexas said…
Used to do this but nowadays just use around less than a pound at a time to make one pan meals in skillet or dutch oven as cooking is becoming challenging some days more than others and food prep especially as my right hand is slowly losing it's usefulness due to nerve damage and atrophy. Maria you and your chick have a good tip and you're right that if only one or two people to cook for doing this ahead of time is a great time saver when need to actually make a meal.

Happy Happy to see the plug-in now includes notify of new posts by email and hope it works as have checked it off! :-)
Maria Zannini said…
Jackie: I'm still testing the "master" sign in plugin that will be more useful to subscribers once I get it working. The one you're on is strictly WordPress. It works but kind of limiting if I want to send freebies or special information.
I hope to get all the bugs fixed by next week.
JackieBCentralTexas said…
The one you have is the one I am used to and yes it does limit your audience to only WP users unfortunately it they wish to subscribe for new posts in particular.

Good luck with the "master plugin" working soon.
Maria Zannini said…
Jackie: I should know by Sunday if it works.
Shelley Munro said…
This also works well with cheese. You can buy a large block and cut it into smaller blocks or grate it then freeze.
Maria Zannini said…
Shelley: Absolutely! I separate cheese out in the amounts I think we will use in a week.
LD Masterson said…
I do this but if you-know-who decides to be helpful and put things away for me, the whole package goes into the freezer, in its original wrapper. Every time. No matter what I tell him.
Maria Zannini said…
Linda: I've trained my dragon well. :) He even tries to impress me by doing it without being asked.
Maria Zannini said…
Stacy: That makes you a smart chick. :)
Diane Carlisle said…
I buy whole Ribeye roasts and have have them sliced into 3/4" steaks and individually wrapped. I usually get anywhere between 18-20 steaks. You can't beat buying meat in bulk! I swear by it. :)
Maria Zannini said…
Diane: I thought about doing that but last year a brand new Kroger opened up and they were selling rib eyes for cheap. I stocked up for the year.

Next year though, I might look into buying the whole roast. Great idea!
I'm missing that side of beef we've already used up! Now I have to go back to store bought. Guess I'll have to also go back to portioning things out myself, too! (Until we can save up for another side!)
Maria Zannini said…
Jamie: Welcome!

I would love to buy a side of beef. Still trying to convince the husband we can raise a beef critter and sell it on shares.

Thanks for stopping by!