How to Make Homemade Salsa







Tomatoes are a staple at our house. I dehydrate some tomatoes for use in pizzas and tomato sauce, but I use them au naturale for salsa.

It's very easy to make salsa and I'll show you the way my mom and dad taught me.



You'll need fresh tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, garlic, onion and salt. Gather your ingredients and have them ready for processing so you can dive into your salsa while it's still nice and warm.



Step 1: Coarsely chop up a medium onion, a handful of cilantro and 3 bulbs of garlic. I like mine garlicky, but you can skip this if you don't like garlic.

Step 2: Boil your water



Step 3: make an X on each tomato



Step 4: Drop the tomatoes into the boiling water until the skin starts to come off. It won't take long. You can roast the tomatoes too if you prefer.

.Step 5: Roast your peppers by blistering the skin of the pepper on an open flame. This is very fast and easy.



Step 6: Get your tomatoes out of hot water and carefully pull off the skin.

Step 7: Do the same with the peppers. I like to scrape the blistered skin off with a sharp knife.

Step 7.5: ALWAYS wear rubber gloves. There's nothing worse than accidentally touching your eye after you've been seeding peppers.



Step 8: Add as many (or as few) peppers as you can handle.  Jalapeno is traditional in American recipes, but I think serrano peppers are tastier.  It's also a bit hotter.

Step 9: Toss a handful of each ingredient into your blender or food processor. I like mine kind of chunky, but blend it to the consistency you prefer. Salt to taste.

Step 10: Keep repeating until you've finished using up all your ingredients.



Ta Da! Salsa.

Have some chips nearby. Salsa is best while it's still warm.

Some people like lime juice in their salsa, but that reminds me too much of store-bought salsa. You can always add the lime if you prefer it that way, but try it naked first. (the salsa, not you.)

Have you ever made your own salsa? Do you like it spicy or mild?

Save

Comments

Michael Keyton said…
Sounds good. I have a slight variant, a tomato, chilli dip. It's simply processing a small jar of sun dried tomatoes with olive oil, garlic, chililis and salt. Depending on how much oil you put in it's coarse and thick and ideal for spreading on toast - or for the effete - celery stalks :)
Stacy McKitrick said…
I like salsa (mild), but not enough to make my own. I rarely eat it at home, either. And since Hubby's surgery, I haven't been to a Mexican restaurant in like...forever! We'll eventually get back to one, though. Then I can eat all the salsa I want. :)
Darke Conteur said…
I saved your recipe. I see you used Roma tomatoes. I'm growing some this year for paste. Supposed to be meatier than normal.
Maria Zannini said…
Mike: That sounds great as an appetizer. I'll have to remember that.
Maria Zannini said…
Stacy: Someday he'll be able to eat Mexican food again. Hope it's soon.
Maria Zannini said…
Darke: I prefer plum tomatoes for sauce and salsa, but any tomato will work in a pinch. The other day all I had were big yellow tomatoes. The salsa was lighter in color but still tasted the same.
I've been into a raw salsa lately. It's actually more like a gazpacho. I mince up the tomato, peppers (hot for me), red onion, garlic, and cilantro. Those are the basics, to which I add any veggies I have that strike my fancy. The latest iteration has zucchini and carrots, but I've also used cucumber, radishes, corn, kale, spinach... throw in some beans and you've got a complete meal. Today, I'm cooking some red quinoa to eat with it. Cornbread is good, too. I eat this almost every day - I LOVE Mexican food. Bonus: it's filling, but has no more than a couple hundred calories. I'm actually losing weight!
Maria Zannini said…
Marlene: That sounds so good! I love the idea of the quinoa with it. That's my kind of meal.

Thanks for the tip!
Diane Carlisle said…
Looks amazing, but more than anything, I can actually smell the deliciousness! It all looks so fresh. :)

My sister puts diced mango in her salsa. The slight sweetness goes stunningly beautiful with salsa.
Maria Zannini said…
Diane: I miss eating mangoes. I found out by accident that I'm allergic. The plant is related to poison ivy. Ever since my epic battle with poison ivy several years back, I've never again been able to eat mangoes. But the addition sounds fantastic!
betty said…
This looks yummy!

betty